Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Politics » In light of all the ongoing sturm und drang over President Trump's election, please answer the following...

In light of all the ongoing sturm und drang over President Trump's election, please answer the following...

Some of the folks still talking on here about that old news do not live in the US, could not and did not vote, and thus did nothing to prevent or otherwise affect the election's outcome. Therefore, I believe they have no basis for complaint. Do you agree/disagree and why?

Posted - August 17, 2018

Responses

I believe they have the right to voice frustrations. I like having the right to voice my grievances with foreign political leaders when I disagree with I respect dislike them. 

Honestly, their opinions mean nothing to me. This post was edited by Rizz at August 20, 2018 12:38 PM MDT
      August 17, 2018 6:23 PM MDT

Well, they certainly have a right to express their opinions although they don't actually affect anything.  Considering that we are all part of globalization and those from other countries interact with us, I can understand them wanting to express their opinions.

EDIT for grammar and capitalization.  Hush, Randy. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at August 17, 2018 7:38 PM MDT
      August 17, 2018 6:33 PM MDT

On one hand, Why shouldn't they
    be able to say how they feel
    and how it is actually affecting
    them as well...the whole world
    is talking...are they not?
         but then again I hear what 
    you are saying.
    and sometimes it can turn ugly.
    ...Keep it full of love people... This post was edited by Baba at August 17, 2018 7:30 PM MDT
      August 17, 2018 6:51 PM MDT

• I disagree Stu. As long as illegals vote in these elections, anybody on planet earth has a right to an opinion. As long as an eleven year old can hack into election equipment, as long as precincts come up with "missing ballots", as long as there are "provisional ballots" for those not registered to be added into the mix at a later time, as long as there are more registered voters in a county than people, the system is busted and bogus. The only folks who don't really have a say, are people like you and me. 
      August 17, 2018 7:27 PM MDT

Even in the absence of these conditions, people have a right to express their thoughts. 
      August 17, 2018 7:38 PM MDT

But you realize, don't you, that one must be a US citizen and show proof of residence to register? Having worked at the polls for the NYC Board of Elections, I can tell you that the vast majority of those who actually vote are listed in and sign the book for their assembly and election districts. Those not registered who wish to vote are required to leave the poll site, go to a local courthouse, and return with an order signed by a judge. Those who show up and are not at the correct poll site must either leave and vote at the correct poll site for their assembly district and election district or vote by affidavit ballot. From years of personal experience, I can tell you that almost nobody gets a judicial order and very few affidavit ballots are issued - usually fewer than 10-15 during the entire day at a given poll site. And fairly stringent requirements must be met by those who wish to vote by absentee ballot.

After the polls close, ballots are removed from each site in locked boxes by police following strict rules and procedures.

Believe it or not, state and local governments take election laws and rules very seriously, and there are no widespread, wily nily violations of these to the extent that would be required to throw off any election results as you suggest. I believe your assumptions about this are somewhat off base and informed more by cynicism than by actual knowledge and facts. Can you cite real incidents and data that would prove my belief wrong? This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at August 17, 2018 9:42 PM MDT
      August 17, 2018 7:50 PM MDT

I don't see why they shouldn't complain (or express appreciation). They are affected by what happens in the US and their opinions should be part of the decision-making process for those of us who can vote. I don't get your point. Other than expressing their views, how could they have prevented or otherwise affected the outcome of the election since we frown on election-meddling?
      August 17, 2018 7:30 PM MDT

I disagree.

Who are we to tell others they shouldn’t express their opinions? Are you trying to suggest that some commentaries are not pertinent because they come from another country? 

This is an international forum, all of us here have an equal right to speak our peace. You (and I) have just as much right to choose to read them or not. 

Do Americans NOT give voice to complaint about how Kim Jong Un runs his country? This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 18, 2018 8:13 AM MDT
      August 17, 2018 7:34 PM MDT

That's how I feel. Not my president, not my problem.
      August 20, 2018 12:34 PM MDT

i think youre right
      September 9, 2018 5:49 PM MDT