Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » Were you ever hired as a spotter in a store?

Were you ever hired as a spotter in a store?

Was it fun?

Posted - August 24, 2018

Responses

Not sure what a "spotter" is.
    I did work security, temporarily.  It was boring, since it was just keeping an eye on the remodel crew after hours.
      August 24, 2018 7:37 AM MDT

Don could use your talents right about now.  A couple of things were stolen off one of his job sites a couple nights ago.  :(. 
      August 24, 2018 9:58 AM MDT

No.  I've worked in a fashion retail store and that entails watching customers and such other people meandering around the merchandise.

Don and I were just off work one day and both looked pretty grungy.  We went to The Big 5 to buy him new work boots.  The guy helping us was taking forever in the back to find his size.  We meandered over to the sock section thinking we might buy some new socks since we were right there.  Three Big 5 workers swarmed around us, pretending to be customers.  It was such an insult, we didn't buy the socks.  We did buy the boots and have not been back since.  It really was uncomfortable.  I'm sure if we had walked in with nice, clean, khaki shorts and clean shirts we wouldn't have been treated so rudely. 
    Case and Point:  Never judge a customer by their attire.  Just because we didn't look the part doesn't mean we didn't have money to spend and would have gladly.  The good news about this story is we went to REI instead.  It's a better place to shop with great merchandise. I highly recommend it.   :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at August 24, 2018 8:43 AM MDT
      August 24, 2018 8:24 AM MDT

• I guess it's kind of a store.  I've worked as a yard-man at a drive-in theater.
    Catching people who sneak in in their buddies' trunk, sneak in the back gate, run over speaker poles, etc.

August 24, 2018 8:28 AM MDT

I've traveled into drive-ins through the trunk, over the fence, etc.  I'm glad it wasn't where you were working. :) :)  
      August 24, 2018 8:41 AM MDT

August 24, 2018 8:44 AM MDT

It wasn't the only thing that was illegal during that those trips into the drive-in.  We were poor white folk in a big country.  We only had 2 dollars and 17 cents between us.  That only got one couple in.  We even had to bring our own popcorn.  That wasn't drive-in legal either.  Have a heart.  Poor people like to go to drive-ins tooooooo.

P.S.  Just to be clear, our parents didn't know.  Had they, we would have been grounded for life.  I'd still be in my room on Tillamook St. :) :)
      August 24, 2018 8:51 AM MDT

Thank you CosmicWunderkund! :) :) 
      August 25, 2018 1:00 AM MDT

• No worries.  I never wore steel-toed shoes.

August 24, 2018 8:50 AM MDT

HUGE GIGGLES!!  Hopefully if you do buy some, you don't go to Big 5 but instead go to REI!  (((Hugs)))
      August 24, 2018 8:57 AM MDT

• Oh I've bought steel-toed shoes, I just didn't wear them at that job.  
    I was a machinist, for many years, and steel-toed shoes were one of the pieces of safety equipment we wore.
      August 24, 2018 9:31 AM MDT

LOL ... the drive-in in our town faced a freeway access overpass.  So there would always be a line of cars parked on the shoulder, watching the movie.  But they couldn't hear anything, until the theater updated the speaker system to a short-range AM broadcast signal.  

Finally, the city or state posted "emergency parking only" signs ... but then everybody strangely had "flat tires" that they had to change there.  LOL
      August 24, 2018 9:01 AM MDT

• I can well imagine. It's surprising how creative people can get when it comes to "getting a free lunch." :)
      August 24, 2018 9:25 AM MDT

not yet
      September 8, 2018 5:55 PM MDT