Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » For those who get their prescriptions filled at Walmart, has your store because more insistent about pharmist consultations?

For those who get their prescriptions filled at Walmart, has your store because more insistent about pharmist consultations?

Mine has even on meds that have been used for years, they are requiring the pharmacist consult before releasing it to you.  
Had a new one for a eczema. And they would not fill because they did not like the doctor's directions. (Apply to affected area x daily) Pharmist came over and asked where it was being applied and even to look at the area. And then asked if other areas were worse. Then said he was able to fill the script. 
It annoyed me. They are not my family's doctor. They are there to sell the meds the doctor prescribed. It has happened with more than one pharmacists so not just a particular one. 
It this happening nationwide? Or just my area?

Posted - August 28, 2018

Responses

I haven't had that happen, but I don't fill my prescriptions at Walmart.  I understand why you might feel the pharmacist is over-stepping his bounds, but I think that being careful to make sure the "patient" is getting the correct instructions is important, too.  I'm sure there have been times when doctors have mis-prescribed something. 
      August 28, 2018 10:09 AM MDT

It is a new policy evidently. I know used to they just asked if you had any questions for the pharmacist and if you did he/she would come answer them....otherwise they simply handed you your meds. 
    I wonder if they lost a lawsuit or something. 
    Today when I went to pick it up. The lady in front of me was in her consult and was in tears. I don't know why....I was trying not to listen and walked away. I did hear him tell to call HIM in a couple days if something did or did not work. That I thought should have been call your doctor. 
    I don't know but very annoying. 
      August 28, 2018 3:11 PM MDT

Sometimes, a doctor will prescribe something without knowing that the patient is taking other medications which would not work well together.  The pharmacist, presumably, has all of the meds in front of him and might know better which meds shouldn't be taken together.  Look at all the docs that prescribed Oxycodone and other opioids thinking that they were safe because that's what the drug company representatives told them.  Frankly, I would sooner take the word of a pharmacist than a doctor as to the interaction of drugs.

EDIT to add:  Years ago, my internist prescribed Advair because I had chest congestion.  When I took the prescription to the pharmacy, he asked me if I had asthma.  I told him I didn't and told him my symptoms.  He suggested that there were other meds that would work as well which were much less expensive with fewer side effects.  He offered to call the doctor and the doctor told him that's what he wanted me to have so the prescription was filled.  It cost me $400 for one month's supply and after the first time I used the inhaler, I was so revved up that I had to take a Valium to calm down.  $400 down the drain.  Now I listen to my pharmacist! This post was edited by SpunkySenior at August 29, 2018 8:17 AM MDT
      August 28, 2018 6:37 PM MDT

I know they are trying to help. I just felt intruded upon. 
      August 28, 2018 7:35 PM MDT

I can understand that, but wouldn't you rather be intruded upon than given the wrong medications?
      August 29, 2018 8:09 AM MDT

He did not ask anything that could have told him it was a wrong med or would have a reaction with another med. I have no other scripts. I do not take anything OTC. And he did not ask about other meds.  Unless he was going to just overrule the doctor completely and say you don't need this.  I do believe he was trying to be helpful. But still just believe he went a little too far. And then when I picked it up he did not tell me anything about side effects or anything. 
      August 29, 2018 9:26 AM MDT

OK, there is nothing I'm going to say to you that will change your mind about his likely good intentions, so there's no point in discussing this any further.  Have a nice evening.
      August 29, 2018 6:07 PM MDT

I agree he had good intentions. You have a nice evening as well.
      August 29, 2018 8:27 PM MDT

Yes, I use that pharmacy among others for various family members. All make me do a consult if it's a new prescription. 

So... when I read your question, it did sound like he was pretending to be the doctor, but then I got to thinking about all the helpful info I've gotten from my pharmacists. They're often the ones who caution me about drug interactions, if another med might be better, what side effects might occur, what the risks of being on the med are, and so on. 

It sounds like it was overkill that he asked to see the spot, but I'm betting you were given a steroid cream, and steroids come with all kinds of side effects. If it was me, a couple days into regular use and I'd stop sleeping and become jittery. So, maybe he was thinking that if the spots weren't bad, you might have been a candidate for something newer or something your doctor might not have known about that came with lesser side effects. Or, maybe he might recommend that you minimize your use of it. By and large, my pharmacists have always been awesome. I go with them for questions on all meds and conditions. When my daughter was a baby and just had vaccines and her dad stopped off with her at the pharmacy after, it was the pharmacist who actually caught that she was having an allergic reaction to one and gave dosing instructions for Benadryl on the spot. Some are awful or robotic, but a whole lot of them genuinely seem to care and are basically walking encyclopedias of meds and conditions. Maybe he went about it the wrong way, but I think his heart was in the right place. 

Doctors aren't infallible. I think the average time spent with a doc in the US is around 7-8 minutes per appointment. And, they don't always have medication-specific knowledge. There's actually a whole branch of medicine dedicated to helping people manage their prescriptions. Some pharmacies offer medication reviews as a service as well. It tends to be more helpful with the older populations who may be on a litany of meds. So, maybe he was looking at it from that angle too. Just an added service and help. 
      August 28, 2018 3:17 PM MDT

I know they are trying to help and often do. Just the way it was done was just strange to me. 
    It maybe like you said thinking the script to strong and worried about side effects. He did ask if my feet were worse. I told him yes alot. And it is a new script....I never had anything before not even as a child. I thought it was athletes foot and treating it with OTC meds which made it worse. 
    But yes I do think your right, he was worried about side effects etc. Just really rubbed me wrong. It is good to get a different perspective. 

August 28, 2018 8:06 PM MDT

A pharmacist should never question or try to override a doctor's diagnosis or prescription.. they don't know you and your history whereas the doc does and the doc it more qualified.. It seems very wrong.. I've not had that but I have had the pharmacist refuse to sell me behind the counter meds, as in non-prescription unless I tell them about the problem.. right there in the middle of the store??? I think it's awful and I did complain. 
      August 28, 2018 3:51 PM MDT

We have laws for some of the OTC cold meds that are used for making meth. Can only buy so many at a time and they keep a log so you cannot go in daily and buy more and more. I think they have the logs computerized now and the different pharmacies are linked together. So you cannot go from one to the next buying the limit.  
    I agree you should not have to justify purchasing it. I often stock up on cold meds at the beginning of winter season. Nothing worse than needing meds and having to go to the store and get it first. 
      August 28, 2018 8:12 PM MDT

All of my scripts are from Express Script. I do my own research when I, or my wife get a new med. I have consulted a pharmacist before.
      August 28, 2018 3:54 PM MDT

I usually do my own research as well. 
      August 28, 2018 8:07 PM MDT

*Pharmacist.
      August 29, 2018 8:56 PM MDT

no, i get nnine at walgreens, it used to be rideaid
      September 7, 2018 4:20 PM MDT