franc533
Zack
ORANGE is the new BLACK?
Heeeeers Jonny!
LoonLips
Shuhak
Just Asking
Discussion » Questions » Communication » How do you feel about all schools being be-lingual? Why not have us all speak the same language, verbally, on an intellectual level?

How do you feel about all schools being be-lingual? Why not have us all speak the same language, verbally, on an intellectual level?

Posted - August 28, 2018

• 24899
    That would mean the teachers would have to be bi-lingual. There aren't enough of them qualified to fill all of the schools. Also, what would be the second language?
      August 28, 2018 12:17 PM MDT
    3

• 7307
    I hope whatever language the second may be, spelling is mandatory.  I didn't catch the Be-lingual until right this second. Sorry.  Now, about teachers... much to my dismay, kids are learning more from their computers and phones than interacting with their peers in a schooling setting.  The teachers would be what they carry in their pockets.  I did think about the second language issue when I posted this.
    I think the second language might be geographically dictated.  Ex: United States would have Spanish.  Upper United States perhaps French.  Maybe if we started learning two, as we multiply they would combine as would the french and so on.  Pretty soon it might be like Farsi.  The ball would be rolling and in no time we all would combine and stop the language barrier problem.  It seems a natural way to evolve.  The question remains, do we?

August 28, 2018 6:17 PM MDT
    2

• 1522
    Our national language is English. If you’re going to live here learn to speak it. 
      August 28, 2018 12:19 PM MDT
    2

• 24899
    Even though we do not have an official langue, the vast majority speak English. Therefore, I must agree with you.
      August 28, 2018 12:20 PM MDT
    4

• 10022
    We don't have an official national language, as Element 99 said.  I do believe that English should be the primary language that everyone learns (and I mean everyone).  There are people who come to this country, live here for decades, and still cannot speak English with any proficiency.  I can't imagine becoming a citizen of a country and not being able to communicate in the language of that country.  I do believe that every school should teach a second language (of one's choice), and that it be taught beginning in elementary school when it is easiest to learn a language.  As children move to middle school, they can choose another language if they've become proficient in the original foreign language; same when reaching high school. 
      August 28, 2018 1:04 PM MDT
    5

• 3467
    I agree, I wish I had paid more attention in my Spanish class but I didn't think I would ever need it. Silly me.
      August 28, 2018 1:16 PM MDT
    5

• 296
    Spanish is my first language but I should have had Spanish lessons before I visited the USA.  I had the most misunderstanding at a Mexican restaurant.  The things I thought I ordered weren't what I got. 
      August 28, 2018 1:58 PM MDT
    6

• 3467
    I was  told that  the Spanish and Mexican language are different but it's all Greek to me LOL.
      August 28, 2018 2:58 PM MDT
    5

• 10022
    I did take Spanish in school and I have several friends who speak the language so I would practice with them.  However, I'm not around any of them anymore, so I've lost a lot of it, but most f the time, I can manage well enough to get my thought across.
      August 28, 2018 2:06 PM MDT
    4

• 3467
    If I went to Mexico, I would know enough to order a beer, a taco and where is the bathroom.
    What more do you need?
      August 28, 2018 3:01 PM MDT
    3

• 10022
    Not much! :)
      August 28, 2018 6:41 PM MDT
    3

• 7307
    Taaaa Daaaaa!  What more in life do you need?  Especially in a foreign country?!!!  I agree 100 percent!!  Let's go to Mexicoooo!!!!
      August 29, 2018 6:57 PM MDT
    2

• 3467
    OK!! You drive and I will pay for gas.
      August 30, 2018 12:07 PM MDT
    0

• 1522
    I was wrong. We don’t habe an official language. English is by far the most spoken and should be learned by all who wish to live here.
      August 28, 2018 3:33 PM MDT
    4

• 10022
    I agree 100%.
      August 28, 2018 6:33 PM MDT
    4

• 7307
    You do not even know how much I agree with you.  It is one of my, wait.... probably my ONLY PET PEEVE!  I could write you a novel about how much this bothers me.  I posted this question because I was thinking globally and Ancient Aliens is on. (We record them.)  They were talking about how they couldn't communicate, blah, blah, blah.
    BUT I do agree with you a bizillion percent.  If I went to France, I'd learn French.  Mexico, I'd learn Spanish... even BEFORE I moved there.  Ugh!  Don't get me started.  It was a global thought! :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at August 30, 2018 7:41 AM MDT
      August 28, 2018 6:20 PM MDT
    3

• 25099

There should be a comma after the word "here".  It separates the two clauses of your sentence. 
      August 28, 2018 9:29 PM MDT
    1

• 1522
    Get over it. 
      August 28, 2018 9:34 PM MDT
    1

• 1522
      August 28, 2018 10:03 PM MDT
    3

• 11565
    No.  That's how I feel.  I do believe that every high school grad should be proficient in English plus a language of their choice.  English should be the only mandatory language and should be mandatory for all..........children and adults.
      August 28, 2018 12:30 PM MDT
    2

• 24899
    I want to learn Klingon.
      August 30, 2018 7:42 AM MDT
    0

• 11565
    Go right ahead and tell the captain Thrifty said hi. 
      August 30, 2018 9:12 AM MDT
    0

• 3462
    People benefit from knowing more than one language; the U.S. is in the minority being a country where most of the population is monolingual. Bilingualism is good for brain development.

I don't think bilingualism in schools needs to be required, but I encourage and support it.
      August 28, 2018 12:37 PM MDT
    5

• 296
    I thought foreign languages were a universal subject in school.  I was required to learn two foreign languages.  One of them had to be English and the other was a choice between Italian, French or German so I chose Italian.
      August 28, 2018 1:51 PM MDT
    4