Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Can recovering alcoholics still have foods cooked in wine?

Can recovering alcoholics still have foods cooked in wine?

Posted - August 29, 2018

Responses

Ethanol has a boiling point of 78.4C (173.1F), so provided that the cooking temperature is higher than that, no problem - the alcohol boils away and leaves the flavour behind.
    Wine trifle is a no-no - that isn't heated.
      August 30, 2018 12:09 AM MDT

I'm not sure but I would think so. 
      August 30, 2018 1:04 AM MDT

Only if you actually cook it (as in boiling temp) will the alcohol dissipate.   I would not do use it, myself.  The left over taste could be a trigger for your dinner partner.  
      August 30, 2018 9:59 AM MDT

In my experience, there are different kinds of alcoholics.  Some for psychological reasons, some for physiological reasons, and some for environmental reasons.  The worst thing that can happen to a physiological alcoholic is for them to take in any alcohol.  It triggers a change in their brain chemistry, resulting in what they call "the phenomenon of craving."  The taste of non-alcoholic wine could trigger a psychological desire to drink in the psychological alcoholic but would most likely not have any adverse affects on someone who is an alcoholic for external, environmental reasons.
      August 30, 2018 4:30 PM MDT

NO!!!! the last may be too much for some people. 
      August 30, 2018 6:44 PM MDT

i dont see why not, its not like theyre drinking gallons of it
      September 7, 2018 2:58 PM MDT