Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Have you ever worked at one of those food-sample booths in a grocery store?

Have you ever worked at one of those food-sample booths in a grocery store?

If that doesn't provide a clear-cut exposé of the full range of varieties in the lowest common denominator in human personalities, I'll bet nothing would.

*I never eat any of those samples, I don't even approach those displays. I avoid them like the plague. 
~

Posted - August 31, 2018

Responses

Never worked at one, but I've seen them at Costco and Trader Joe's. It's unbelievable how long people are willing to stand in line for a tiny bit of free food and how they'll fight to get it before someone else does.
      August 31, 2018 11:55 PM MDT

• "For once, I have to agree with you ...TABOO!!"
      September 1, 2018 2:54 AM MDT

I, like others, don't partake in those samples. This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at September 1, 2018 7:19 PM MDT
      September 1, 2018 7:44 AM MDT

I eat at them any chance I get. Except for sweet stuff. I like to shmooze with the ladies who work them. I have never worked at one, though.
      September 1, 2018 8:04 AM MDT

A a manager, I worked with many "sample people" over the years.  While some are store personnel, many are hired through outside companies.  I mean no disrespect to these people, but a few of them didn't have the IQ of a brick...... 

- One lady didn't know how to set up a card table.  She just couldn't get it through her head that the legs went down.
    - One lady came in, set up her display station, then immediately went to lunch.  When she came back from lunch, she took down her display station and went home (but left her coupons on a nearby display).
    - Numerous sample people don't know how to count past one (most are required to do inventory before they start and again before they leave). 
    - Some show up completely unaware of what product they're supposed to be sampling (even though they themselves call and tell us 1-5 days in advance).

- One lady, although very sweet and kind, was in her 90's and barely had the strength to do the job (let alone stand there for 4 hours).  However, she dutifully showed up early with her antiquated kitchen equipment and battered card table, then proceed to slowly set up her display station.  
      September 1, 2018 9:30 AM MDT

• I have not. I'd often try the samples at Trader Joe's, though. 
      September 1, 2018 11:42 AM MDT

i tried to one tinne but when sonneone canne to train nne they noticed i was short and couldnt reach the shelves, next thing i know the connpany called nne to tell nne i couldnt do it anynnore
      September 7, 2018 1:47 PM MDT