Active Now

my2cents
Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Progressive Democratic candidate for New York State Attorney General Zephyr Teachout says, "The wrong people are in prison." Seriously?

Progressive Democratic candidate for New York State Attorney General Zephyr Teachout says, "The wrong people are in prison." Seriously?

She believes that there are too many African-Americans behind bars and that criminal prosecution must focus on white collar crime. OK, but does she actually think that violent crime doesn't matter and that innocent folks get arrested, convicted, and sentenced?

She's trailing in polls and is unlikely to win next week's primary, but do you think she's just naive, has a bleeding heart, or both? Criminal defense attorneys are probably licking their chops hoping against hope that she somehow gets elected.

Posted - September 4, 2018

Responses

Honestly speaking, I think she’s a racist moron. She isn’t naive. She knows what she’s saying. She’s race batting and playing the race card. We don’t need false racism cries when we have enough actual cases and problems of it already. White collar crimes are bad. I don’t believe most white collar are as bad as violent crimes and dealing drugs. For someone who‘s supposed to be knowledgeable in criminal justice she‘s an idiot or a person trying to get votes by race baiting.

I apologize for not being articulate enough. When bull crap like this is said it strikes a major nerve with me.  This post was edited by Rizz at September 5, 2018 7:17 PM MDT
      September 4, 2018 8:00 PM MDT

I think there are too many African Americans in prison simply because too many commit serious crimes.
    Odds are there are one or two somewhere, unjustly convicted, but that would hold proportionally true of any demographic. 

My thoughts are that this candidate is campaigning on a personal bias, absent fact. Perhaps hoping there is a viable voting block of like minds, willing to devalue locking up violent felons who hurt and kill people in favor of chasing crooked politicians and rich people who don’t.
    I agree defense attorneys would appreciate the windfall of cases that take months to adjudicate and rarely draw serious punishments. 

I‘d hope a serious candidate for office would have more on their platform than this. 
      September 4, 2018 8:23 PM MDT

Ironically, Teachout is white and the mainstream candidate, who is likely to win, is current Manhattan Borough President Letitia James, who happens to be African-American. I bet James would never make such a simplistically racist statement.
      September 4, 2018 8:38 PM MDT

I think we have a white candidate here who‘s pandering (pitifully) to black folks for their votes. 
    That is some kinda name too, Zephyr Teachout. 
      September 5, 2018 5:18 AM MDT

Do you think she understands that white collar is not a racial designation? 
      September 4, 2018 10:50 PM MDT

What say you, Rosie?
      September 5, 2018 6:22 AM MDT

not all the tinne
      September 6, 2018 2:49 PM MDT