Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Finance » For those of you who know, what are the advantages and disadvantages of becoming a member of AAA*? ~

For those of you who know, what are the advantages and disadvantages of becoming a member of AAA*? ~

*The American Automobile Association. 

They keep sending me membership offers. I keep ignoring them. Over a decade ago, I was planning a cross-country road trip, and I considered joining then, but I was unimpressed with their stated reasons that it would be a good move. 
~

Posted - September 4, 2018

Responses

~
      September 7, 2018 12:06 AM MDT

I've been with AAA for well over 35 years (they insure my house as well as my cars).  

Their rates are a bit higher than some other compnies.
    Their roadside service costs $60-$100, depending on which service level you choose.
    They are quick to settle claims and rarely try to hassle you.
    They offer discounts at various places across the country.

September 5, 2018 9:51 AM MDT

I give up. What's an automoblie?
      September 5, 2018 9:01 PM MDT

I let it go after keeping it for many years.  My insurance and my credit card company both provide free roadside assistance.  AAA has nice discounts but they are about the same as the AARP discounts.  AAA has nice maps but State Farm still gives out free Rand McNally atlases.

The best thing about AAA is the phone number:  800-AAA-HELP.   It is not forgettable.  

AAA was peach of mind for me when my girls started driving.  It was great for my elderly mother while she was still driving.  

I just don't really need it anymore.  Also, they have gone up in price greatly, and the service offered is not as good as in the past.  They used to take forever to get to you.............like six hours people would wait on a AAA wrecker.  They have greatly improved on that front!
      September 5, 2018 9:02 PM MDT

I agree with you about AARP. Their discounts don't amount to much and it definitely isn't worth the price of membership.
      September 6, 2018 12:30 PM MDT

have no idea since i dont have a car
      September 6, 2018 2:46 PM MDT