Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are scones and crumpets your cuppa tea? Served with what kind of jam, jelly or other spread?

Are scones and crumpets your cuppa tea? Served with what kind of jam, jelly or other spread?

Posted - September 10, 2018

Responses

• I've had to curb my consumption of crumpets and pastries for all the obvious reasons that include volatile blood sugar and an ever expanding waist line. Sometimes I have a running debate over whether to enjoy all that's forbidden or whether to tow the line at this point in life. I do wear a belt that is emblazoned with "Expanding to serve you better" That's an indication of where I'm at.
      September 10, 2018 8:09 AM MDT

Simply delicious ,but a waste of calories Rosie.....Akin to having sugar in your tea...eating fast food potato fried snacks and any white flour high fat fast burning highly processed junk foods....:( 
      September 10, 2018 8:19 AM MDT

Unless the scones are homemade D. Which I did. Whole grain stone ground flour. Very light on the sugar. Maple flavored and I added pecans. Very delicious if I do say so myself. Which I do. As for crumpets long ago I'd buy them...4 to a package. Toast them and put  maple syrup on 'em. Liked that better than pancakes! Different strokes. It's been years since I had crumpets though!  Thank you for your reply! :)
      September 10, 2018 8:52 AM MDT

There is always packets of crumpets in our home...they come in six or nine packets...we gave them just with butter mostly.....
    Its easy to make them from scratch as well...you just gave to have the right flour and Yeast ...:)
      September 10, 2018 10:57 AM MDT

If you do make them from scratch D you could use healthier ingredients. Now that you mention it I think they are in packs of six. Our local Sprouts store (geared toward healthier foods but not perfect) is the only store that carries them. Do they come in a whole grain stone ground wheat variety as well or only the white flour in your country? Thank you for your reply D and Happy Tuesday to thee.
      September 11, 2018 1:49 AM MDT

Warburtons Crumpets are the bests do tastiest Rosie ...I've only seem white flour ones sold in all the big stores here....  Never any healthy one in them.....maybe they sell them in health food shops....I never looked for them as its not a every day food for us    
      September 11, 2018 2:18 AM MDT

The next time we're at Sprouts I'm going to check out the crumpets to see who makes them D. The first time I ever tasted one I really liked the flavor a lot. I toasted it and put a little butter on it and little maple syrup and the taste was sublime. I'm not a pancakes or waffles person. One bite and I'm done. I could never make a breakfast of  it. But toasting one small crumpet is like having a cooky after a meal. Something small and easy to grab and tasty. Oh. I've seen clotted cream at Sprouts. How is it used and do you like it? Thank you for your reply D!  :)
      September 11, 2018 2:22 AM MDT

We tend to over cook the and good butter straight out of the fridge....never really with cream or syrup.....we try to keep away from all sugar drinks and things..
      September 11, 2018 2:27 AM MDT

I'm "pre-diabetic" so I minimize  my use of sugar. HOWEVER I discovered recently that Coconut Sugar has less of an effect on the metabolism and is a preferred sweetener for that reason. So I switched to that. Every morning I have two cups of coffee and I used to use an artificial sweetener but they aren't really good for you. Now I use one tsp. of coconut sugar along with a little 1/2 & 1/2  AND a little Dark Chocolate Silk Almond Milk. Jim takes his black. I don't enjoy black coffee. I need mine fancied up a bit.Thank you for your reply D! :)
      September 11, 2018 2:31 AM MDT

There is very little difference in any types of sugar on the glycemic index Rosie...natural sugars being only slightly better....
    Do you have Low GI bread over there in America....if you do try it please ,it's so tasty and slow burning and great to eat if you are diabetic...

We don't eat white processed bread and more ,the more processed the food stuff ,the less your body has to work to digest it.....That means you get hungry quicker :( 
      September 11, 2018 3:28 AM MDT

First thing I look at is fiber D and then  the grams of protein and sugars/salts.  If anything has hydrogenated anything in it I don't buy it. Also food dyes. Some are carcinogenic so we never eat anything with any food dye in it. I don't care what number it is. Better foods are dyed by natural foods like beets or carrots. Natural foods.  I have been doing that for decades. What infuriates me are those false advertisers who will say "100% whole grain" on the wrapper and then there will be less than 1 gram of fiber in a slice of bread!. Who is kidding whom? They strip the wheat of all nutritional value and then color the flour dark so it looks real healthy and folks don't bother reading anything. They see a dark color and grab it. It could be junk but they never bother to find out. Also it used to be that SOURDOUGH bread had sourdough starter in it.  Now Nope. Even some loaves of "San Francisco Sourdough" have none. You cannot assume anything. You have to read the ingredients label. I don't buy anything if it doesn't have an ingredients label AND A  NUTRITIONAL LABEL. I have called things like that to the store employees and they just shrug their shoulders. They aren't responsible for the false advertising designed by the bakery to fool folks who are too lazy or too uninterested to even bother reading it.  Boy fraud is in every aisle! If you don't read it you won't know and those who don't read obviously don't care. I pity their families! Thank you for your reply D. I am  aware of the low glycemic index foods. I also have a book on food combining which is for those who don't eat meat. If you combine foods properly you will get the same benefits as you would get from a steak which has all 8 amino acids. Years ago meat turned me off for quite awhile and I wanted to be sure I was getting the proper nutrients so  I read up on it. The information is out there. All you have do is be interested and take the time to learn! SIGH. So easy to say but I guess so hard to do for some folks.  They get fat and ill and wonder why that is? Well they could be eating crap and not know it! High fructose corn syrup and GMO'S up the kazoo(genetically modified organisms)  and hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils. Did you know that some black licorice has RED Food Dye #40 in it? Seriously that is nuts! Have you heard of INULIN? We eat Dreamfield's Pasta because Inulin is an ingredient that blocks the deleterious effect carbohydrates have on the body. We eat no other pasta and haven't for years.  I read that Inulin occurs naturally in coconut. I didn't do any research on it:)Sorry fo the long rant/diatribe but this is a pet aggravation! SIGH! :( This post was edited by RosieG at September 11, 2018 5:41 AM MDT
      September 11, 2018 5:24 AM MDT

With scones it's raspberry or blackcurrant jam with cream if I'm lucky.

For crumpets, honey or syrup allowed to soak in. 

Bother the diabetes, it's a treat. 

This post was edited by Malizz at September 11, 2018 5:27 AM MDT
      September 11, 2018 5:26 AM MDT