Discussion » Questions » Communication » Are You Tired of Political Correctness Yet? Here, Maybe This Will Help...

Are You Tired of Political Correctness Yet? Here, Maybe This Will Help...

You just can't make up crap like this:

Princeton HR department: Don’t use word ‘man’

Posted - August 19, 2016

Responses

• Really? Not you.

September 4, 2016 9:34 AM MDT

• For people with no sense of what living among others mean, and they think that they should be able to.say anything they want because they blame their shortcomings on society. Then yes. I think silence would be a great prerequisite.

September 4, 2016 9:38 AM MDT

• I guarantee you that if I knew you, and knew of you, and started making disparaging comments about your condition or circumstance just for giggles. I bet you I could get you to change your mind.

September 4, 2016 9:40 AM MDT

• This is a very smartly crafted way to very politically correctly, straddle both sides of the fence. Respectfully.

September 4, 2016 9:43 AM MDT

Hi, yet, even, again, hartfire!

For someone who said he was leaving,. I'm sure hanging around the entrances, aren't I?

:)

Anyway, I was going to personal message you but we had to be answermug friends for me to send a personal message. So I'll put it here - - when, in my last comment, I said I agreed with your above-post totally, I didn't intend to sound as if I was saying, " Yes -- I DO make a great positive difference in helping the atmosphere in answermug, don't I?"

Ha!

I'm becoming overly sensitive to everything I write --  it's one reason I think I need to get away for a while. Communicating using only the written word is very challenging for me. For me to write down truly what I truly mean to say is not always easy for me. And I've been slipping lately to my way of thinking --  or it's becoming more difficult.

And on and on I ramble ~

Be Well, and

Take Care!

WelbyQ

September 4, 2016 12:58 PM MDT

• I don't talk that much in real life anyway.

Life on a farm offers few conversationalists.

September 4, 2016 1:53 PM MDT

You've CLEARLY not discussed recondite philosophical concepts with your bovines.  They're deep thinkers, those bovines.

They also taste just like steak. :-)

September 4, 2016 2:46 PM MDT

I do, too.  Especially for liberals and other freedom haters.

September 4, 2016 2:46 PM MDT

a) they are right. (strictly speaking)

b) they are ridiculous. (to ordinary Joes (and Janes))
      September 4, 2016 2:57 PM MDT

So it all cones back to being a Liberal-bash. Who would have guessed ;-))

September 4, 2016 3:06 PM MDT

• :) agree

September 4, 2016 3:33 PM MDT

• How about... the ones who want to work there do, and probably mostly agree with the guidelines anyway.

And the ones who detest such guidelines seek other forms of intellectual work and expression - not hard for a good brain.

An anarchist can always vote with feet.

September 4, 2016 3:35 PM MDT

• Well, they have told me a bit about chewing my cud. Proper digestion of the food, they said, makes all the difference. The better to taste abstruse varieties of vetch, cogitate on clover, crop cryptic roots before they multiply as weeds, and explore the arcane and esoteric uses of herbs.

But they've told me I don't smell enough like grass to be worthy of their attention.

One of them was so irrate with me one time, for denying her a biscuit of alfalfa, that she head butted me in the bum and sent me somersaulting.

They are not the least anarchic by the way. Instinctively hierarchical mammals. No ethics at all. I sit at the bottom of their pecking order. Amid the cowpats. ;)

September 4, 2016 5:18 PM MDT

• Mmm.

If one is an anarchist one might protest about others limiting their vocabulary among one another,

but how far would one go to prevent them from choosing their language according to their values?

Surely the most anarchic response would be to simply live and let live.

September 4, 2016 5:31 PM MDT

Not quite.  That would be the most libertarian response. Libertarians are minarchists. :-)

September 5, 2016 12:09 AM MDT

September 5, 2016 12:11 AM MDT

That's a fine plan.  Trouble is, tyranny has a way of sneaking up on innocent bystanders.

September 5, 2016 12:12 AM MDT

Why on earth would anyone want to bash liberals, and how does this conclusion relate in any way whatsoever with my liking hartfire's comment?

One more time as it seems I must repeat myself: I differentiate between ist and ism.  I may not like liberal-ism, but I like most liberals just fine.

September 5, 2016 12:15 AM MDT

• Oh!

Well, I still have a long way to go in my learning and understanding then.

Thanks.

Have been catching up with a flood of mail.

I'll reply again soon.

September 5, 2016 1:12 AM MDT

Any time is fine. :-)

September 5, 2016 1:33 AM MDT

• I think you miss the sarcasm in my response.

September 5, 2016 11:11 AM MDT

• I think those are the details that detractors use to attack political correctness.
    I think it's intellectually dishonest.
    Everybody knows what offensive means.

September 5, 2016 11:14 AM MDT

I was agreeing with you. Sorry. My bad. :-D

September 5, 2016 2:21 PM MDT

Really?  What does offensive mean?  Will any two or more people share your definition?  How long have you had this penchant for speaking for other people?

September 5, 2016 2:23 PM MDT

I would say Princeton is behind the times. I have been talking that way for years. I never use "man" to mean a "human being." To me, that is not "political correctness". It is just plain common sense.

September 5, 2016 2:31 PM MDT