Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Life can become incredibly complex as you age. Why? You're more experienced and wiser with fewer responsibilities. What's going on?

Life can become incredibly complex as you age. Why? You're more experienced and wiser with fewer responsibilities. What's going on?

Posted - September 19, 2018

Responses

I think responsibilities as you age are like a bell curve.
    They go from very few responsibilities in childhood ... to high responsibilities in middle age (family, job, etc) ... to fewer responsibilities in old age, but not as few as in childhood.

As to being complex ... life is only as complex as we make it.
    Example: If you only care about always telling the truth, life is less complex than if you also care about people's feelings.
      September 19, 2018 8:06 AM MDT

One can tell the truth with kindness Walt. It needn't hurt people feelings. For example. Your wife or sister or daughter or mother wears a dress that is not very becoming in your opinion. She asks "how do I look"? You don't say "you look awful". You say "you look fine but I really love the blue dress with the ruffled collar". Now where is the lie in that? If you love her she will always look fine to you no matter what she wears. If you have a favorite dress tell her. Kindness is never out of line or out of date or unwelcome. It all depends upon the delivery of that honesty Walt. Thank you for your reply! :)
      September 19, 2018 12:10 PM MDT

That's my point.
    "Telling the truth with kindness" is more complex than just telling the truth.

(Personally, I just refuse to answer any type of "fashion" question.)
      September 19, 2018 1:31 PM MDT

A cold-hearted SOB can tell the truth. "You look awful". But that probably wouldn't happen because a cold-hearted SOB who wants something from you will couch what he/she says in language that won't be offensive. Not out of kindness but out of cunning. Which brings me to another question which I shall ask. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday Walt!  :)
      September 30, 2018 3:01 AM MDT

I can only speak for myself on this one.. I do more.. my kids do more... my pets seem to need more.. my work expect blood even though they pay me peanuts and have cut my hours, I study... I try to keep the house and garden under control better, I am trying to improve the house and garden so that one day I can sell and retire somewhere else..  People seem more demanding, both close to and in general... we seem to have to work harder just to stand still... 

September 19, 2018 9:18 AM MDT

You're not there yet honey. You still work. The kids still live with you. You're not retired and they're not out of the nest yet. That's where I live. Retired and adult kids on their own with their own families and when you get there see how it works for you then. You're not old enough  right now Addb. You will be one day and I probably won't be here but I betcha you'll remember my words echoing in your brain from your past which is my now. Thank you for your reply!  :)
      September 19, 2018 12:14 PM MDT

I find life to be much less complex than it was. Kids are gone, bills are getting paid and I have great health insurance. I am only responsible for me and for ensuring my wife will be OK when I'm gone.
      September 19, 2018 1:58 PM MDT

I'm more aware than ever of things I never used to think much about Ele. I was too busy working and raising my son on my own to pay more than superficial attention to what was going on around me. Now I have much more time to be aware of and think about things like the environment and immigration and racism and hate and a government that is being controlled by a psychopathic Russian-loving puppet whose devoted base eggs him on and enables him. I grant you I probably would have paid more attention if super don or his ilk had run priorly but fortunately we've never seen anything like him. Climate change/Global warming wasn't on my radar. Corrupt and greedy traitors in our own government may have existed but certainly not out in the open and in your face so blatantly and belligerently. We've never had a super don who was laughed at by the entire world. Never had one who doesn't believe in apologies when he is wrong or believe in telling the truth or believes in anything we used to hold sacred in this country. So there is that. Politics now is my major focus. You cannot escape it unless you bury your head in the sand or don't give a dam* because you are among those who are doing obscenely well financially and so screw everyone else and just let the good times keep rolling! Never in my life would I have imagined such a display of hatred and fury and political partisanship as was evidenced by Kavanaugh, a candidate for the job of Justice of the Supreme Court! Never. And yet he gets brownie points for it from super don and the devoted worshippers. Everything in the world that used to be right-side up is upside down and inside out and is very disorienting. 35% or 40% of American voters adore super don and defend him and support him no matter what AWFUL he does or says! I couldn't have imagined that. Maybe 5% of tinfoil wackos but 35-40%? Scary. Very. We live in a country run by a FASCIST! So hunky dory it isn't!  Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday!  :) Lucky you to be that free and unencumbered and woe is me because it encumbers me bigly!   :( This post was edited by RosieG at September 30, 2018 4:33 AM MDT
      September 30, 2018 4:23 AM MDT