Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Music » Musically, am I being too critical?

Musically, am I being too critical?

I like both of these groups quite a lot - - Weezer and Toto.

Weezer has a big hit currently with a cover of Toto's song "Africa." Yet, I don't really like Weezer's version because, to me, it sounds almost note-for-note the same as Toto's original. If all a group does with a cover is to make me immediately think of only the original and how much I like the original -- then don't bother making a cover. I'd rather just hear the original.
:)

Posted - September 20, 2018

Responses

i dont think so
      September 20, 2018 4:59 PM MDT

OK.
     Thanks, Pearl!
      September 20, 2018 5:04 PM MDT

There's an old saying, “one man's trash is another man's treasure,” - there is no judging for taste — what one person may think is worthless may be cherished by another.
      September 20, 2018 5:12 PM MDT

Very, very true.

Thanks, Beans/SilentGeneration!

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 20, 2018 5:55 PM MDT
      September 20, 2018 5:16 PM MDT

September 20, 2018 5:46 PM MDT

September 20, 2018 5:55 PM MDT

I feel the same. The owners of the rights to the Beatles 'Abbey Road' won't allow the album on YouTube. All of the covers aren't even close. I have never heard a re-make that was as good as the original with one exception. I like CCR's version of 'Heard it Through the Grapevine.' more than the original Marvin Gaye version.
      September 20, 2018 5:28 PM MDT

Interesting stuff there, Element 99. Thanks.
    I admit that I do like many covers -- usually I can like the covers along with the originals, and more often than not, it's partly due to the covers sounding in some ways different than the original. For instance, I like the original "Venus" (is Shocking Blue's song the original?) --  and I ADORE Banarama's version!
    I don't know if I've heard CCR's Grapevine - - I'd maybe like it since I like them. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 20, 2018 6:15 PM MDT
      September 20, 2018 5:43 PM MDT

Sweet guitar riff. It's on utube.
      September 20, 2018 5:45 PM MDT

I was just there listening.
    I liked it.
    There were several videos featuring an 11 minutes-long version but I listened to the shorter version.

September 20, 2018 5:54 PM MDT

I'm a fan of I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Gladys Knight & The Pips '1967

This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at September 20, 2018 5:56 PM MDT
      September 20, 2018 5:52 PM MDT

Now that you mention their version -- yes, I like it, too.

Yep...I remember it. Lots of MOTOWN during my high school days. What exactly is a pip?

"The name Pip came from a first cousin,"  "His name is James Woods, but he was a man around town and his nickname was Pip. He bought our wardrobe. He took us around to different spots. He was instrumental in getting us into different contests that we eventually won, and when we got ready to go even further with our careers we decided to name the group The Pips after James Woods, in honor of him."
      September 20, 2018 6:06 PM MDT

Wow...thet's a high quality video. Looks like HD.
      September 20, 2018 6:02 PM MDT

You're right!
      September 20, 2018 6:06 PM MDT

I was a fan of Weezer through their first 5-6 albums. I am in agreement with you on this. Doesn’t sound like it’s any different. Regardless of whether any of us agree with you or not doesn’t matter. We all have our own tastes and the right to have them. Honestly, I find almost all remakes terrible. 
      September 20, 2018 5:59 PM MDT

Yeah, you're right - - after reading others' posts I'm reminded that my thoughts are simply my 'take' on the Weezer's cover and, also, my thoughts about musicians making covers that basically sound like the originals. It's interesting that I'm not the only one who finds this particular cover very much similar to the original.
      September 20, 2018 6:05 PM MDT

Whaaa? I'm never speaking to you again! :o 

Actually I Toto-lly agree with you. I almost can't tell the difference. At first, I thought that was super awesome because I was kind of reliving my youth. The original was released shortly after my birth, so I grew up with my parents listening to it, while I loved Weezer in my teens and early 20s. 

That said, I think there's a very select demographic that would know the original and like Weezer. We're probably talking people in their late 30s to mid 40s and realistically, who's listening to the alt station now? Kids. Hmpf. Kids who have no idea of the awesomeness of Weezer nor recall those obscure electronic tones of the 80s. To them, this is new. All new. So, Weezer clearly scores a win right now for everyone except for a select few. As for me, I was smitten when it first came out. Now I change the station when it comes on. I almost feel like a traitor doing it, given my affinity for Weezer, but... yeah. I'm over it. Sorry, Weezer. 

Anyway, if anybody needs me, I'll be back in the 90s.

September 20, 2018 6:23 PM MDT

Thanks for the fun answer!

Hey, I, too, change the station immediately when I hear Weezer doing this song.

I'm a bit confused, though. Was Weezer around when "Happy Days" was on TV? I thought "Happy Days" was on in the 1970's? And maybe a bit into the 80's? Has Weezer been around that long? 
      September 21, 2018 9:46 PM MDT

Weezer didn't begin until almost a decade after Happy Days went off air. The video an awesomely creative work. Some of it is authentic clips of the show, including pieces where you see Fonzie's face. The bits with the band, and even the diner owner, were filmed specifically for the video. The parts where Fonzie dances and you can see his back in front of the band- that was done with the help of a double and splicing old and new footage together.
      September 21, 2018 10:50 PM MDT

Excellent - - thanks for helping me out there!
      September 22, 2018 12:38 PM MDT