Active Now

Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Music » Do you ever wonder what happened to the children who sang on Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall:Part Two" from "The Wall"?

Do you ever wonder what happened to the children who sang on Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall:Part Two" from "The Wall"?

I do.
They'd be adults now. It'd be cool to be able to say you were one of the singers on that album. I like their contribution to that album. Very effective.
:)

Posted - September 23, 2018

Responses

I’m glad I’m not the only one who wondered what happened to the children who added to this song. Their contributions did help make this song even better.
      September 23, 2018 12:24 PM MDT

Thanks for answering!

Agreed!
    Yes, Pink Floyd's decision to use children -- a very good one. They add to the song in the best ways.

I changed my use of "kids" in my question to "children." I like your saying 'children,' better than my use of 'kids.'

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 23, 2018 12:32 PM MDT
      September 23, 2018 12:32 PM MDT

"(Nick) Griffiths contacted Alun Renshaw, head of music at the nearby Islington Green school, who was enthusiastic about the idea, saying: "I wanted to make music relevant to the kids – not just sitting around listening to Tchaikovsky. I thought the lyrics were great – "We don't need no education, we don't need no thought control ..." I just thought it would be a wonderful experience for the kids."

Griffiths first recorded small groups of pupils and then invited more, telling them to affect a Cockney accent and shout rather than sing. He multitracked the voices, making the groups sound larger, before sending his recordings back to Los Angeles. The result delighted Waters, and the song was released as a single, becoming a Christmas number one."

I believe it's safe to assume that these c. 1979 schoolchildren have grown into adulthood.

September 23, 2018 1:11 PM MDT

Thanks, Stu Bee!
    I may be dense here but who is Nick Griffiths? And it sounds like he must have, somehow, heard excerpts from The Wall before it was released since he knew the lyrics to this song and it hadn't even been released yet? And it wasn't Waters' idea (or anyone else's in the group) for children to be part of the song?

In any case, I do like how the children shout as part of the singing, too.
      September 23, 2018 5:47 PM MDT

Griffiths was a Pink Floyd sound engineer and producer of Roger Waters' solo albums.
      September 23, 2018 6:27 PM MDT

Excellent! Thanks, Stu Bee! I truly was wondering about it all.
    After I posted my comment to you, Griffiths' name seemed familiar to me. I have several of Waters' solo albums (which I LOVE!) and I bet that's why his name was a bit familiar. (Maybe I noticed him from Pink Floyd albums, too. I don't know.)

September 23, 2018 6:32 PM MDT

• They sued for royalties about a decade or so ago.  I never heard what came of it.
      September 23, 2018 1:27 PM MDT

Oh, wow. That somehow takes a bit of the joy away of the song for me.
      September 23, 2018 5:41 PM MDT

• Don't let it, it's still the great song it always has been.  The kids grew up and wanted to get paid.  I would, too.
      September 24, 2018 1:57 PM MDT

I see your and their point.

The song has almost achieved an iconic stature in music to me and they're a big part.
      September 24, 2018 2:11 PM MDT

• Yes, the kids really made that song pop.
      September 24, 2018 2:25 PM MDT

Agreed!
      September 24, 2018 2:28 PM MDT

not really since ive never seen it
      September 23, 2018 1:44 PM MDT

Give it a listen
      September 23, 2018 6:16 PM MDT