Discussion » Questions » Communication » Why would someone leave a voice mail for you to call back using an non working number?

Why would someone leave a voice mail for you to call back using an non working number?

My mother received a voice mail that instructed her to call back and type in a PIN to get a prescription, but when she called she got a message that she dialed a non working number.

Posted - September 27, 2018

Responses

probably sonne telennarketer, ive gotten those and dont even bother calling back
      September 27, 2018 2:53 PM MDT

Unless the call was from her regular pharmacy ... she shouldn't call it.
    If it WAS from her pharmacy ... she should call their regular number, and ask what's going on.
      September 27, 2018 3:46 PM MDT

You are right!!
      September 28, 2018 11:19 AM MDT

This is a sign of a scamming attempt. Scammers often spoof(mask their true phone numbers) so they are difficult to trace. Have her report the call on the FTC website and caution her not to give out any information over the phone. This post was edited by Rizz at September 30, 2018 6:30 PM MDT
      September 27, 2018 4:41 PM MDT

Walt O'Reagun and Rizz said similar things to what I am about to say.
    I've had many of those calls.  Not for pharmacy or medical reasons but for money purposes.  Example:  I qualified for a grant.  A grant?  I didn't apply for a grant.  I called back the number and the same thing happened. 
    Please be aware and if you can try and report the number and time it happened.  Maybe you can help stop it from happening to other innocent people. 
    Please be aware and don't do anything over the phone. 
      September 28, 2018 11:22 AM MDT

Be very careful too about ringing some different number to their own - somehow the crooks have discovered a way to hold the line so it still gets back to them.

I've called quite a few dodgy callers, "liar", and hung up immediately. I think word must get round because if you let a few of these know you know they are fraudulent, you tend to be left alone for quite a while.
      September 30, 2018 6:28 PM MDT