Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Shelley Duvall in Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining"

Shelley Duvall in Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining"

A friend today mentioned this movie. And immediately, I thought of how AFRAID I felt in the movie  - - specifically because of Shelly Duvall's brilliant-to-me performance. Her character, especially in the ending scenes, is so FRIGHTENED - - for good reasons! I felt terrified along with her because I had come to care about her during the movie.
It's a great movie to me and I find Duvall possibly the best part of it.

Do you have a movie in your head in which, when the movie is mentioned you immediately think of a cast member?

Posted - September 30, 2018

Responses

never seen that nnovie
      September 30, 2018 2:39 PM MDT

She did do a great job, but that's why I hated her character. She makes me so mad. 

I was trying to think of movies and the characters I remember most... it's funny because every one I can think of made me mad. Drew Barrymore in Riding in Cars with Boys, for example. She was a clueless selfish teen mom. She played the role beautifully. I hated her in it. Charlize Theron as serial killer Aileen Wuornos... similar. My heart broke for her, but at the same time, I was mortified. 

No matter how hard I think, all I can come up with are examples of actors who played an upsetting role really well. :/
      September 30, 2018 2:56 PM MDT

Can I ask why you hated her character?

I initially did not like this movie. Basically because of Jack Nicholson (unlike the Stephen King novel's character, Nicholson acted crazy from the get-go). And his infamous ad-lib "Here's Johnny!" almost had me walking out of the theater.
    And I kept comparing the movie to the novel - - and was disappointed.
    King has said he does not particularly like the movie, either.
    Since then, an excellent made-for-TV mini-series of "The Shining" was made. I REALLY like that one!

But, also, over the years, I realize if I stop comparing the movie to the book, Kubrick's original "The Shining" is a really good movie.
    :)

I've not seen any of the movies you've mentioned. But your answer is great.
    The "Riding" movie is one of my brother's favorite movies.

September 30, 2018 5:18 PM MDT

I haven't seen the movie in years, but as I recall she was either very naive or not very bright. Or maybe both. She struck me as being very weak. I had little sympathy for her. 

I think we get attached to characters when we can identify with them. Like with Charlize, I did feel bad for Aileen. I saw what happened to her and watched her crack because of it, and that little bit of raw humanity... the "that could be any of us" feeling is what drew me into it more. I ultimately became disgusted with what Aileen did and it made my skin crawl for obvious reasons. When I look at Shelley's character... there's no attachment. She's oblivious from the start. She never catches on that things are bad until it's too late and she overlooks a ton of stuff that no reasonable person would. She wasn't proactive or reasonable. And, that's the character. Shelley portrayed her well, but because that's who the character was... meh... let her have the axe. I was never afraid for her. 

It's so hard for me to remember. My father was/ is a King fan and had all his books, so that's what I grew up reading. I must have picked up the Shining sometime between 3-6th grade and haven't touched it since. I think the last time I saw the movie was maybe 15 years ago. I don't think I saw the mini-series. So, it's difficult for me to do any kind of comparison between the three. I don't think in my early King-reading days I understood the depth of the psychological horror, but I certainly picked up on the crazy and scary. 

Side note, if you haven't seen it yet, Hulu has "Castle Rock," a series that pulls from a bazillion King stories. There are references to the Shining in it. I don't want to say what they are and ruin it, but watch with a keen eye and you'll catch them. Hmm... maybe a hint. Jack's niece is a character, but they don't outright make the connection for you. That one's a gem.
      September 30, 2018 9:35 PM MDT

Thanks for your reply, Just Asking. I only saw Kubrick's "The Shining" once. But I now remember her character being sort of that way, yeah. I must have still related to her because I do remember I was frightened along with her. It may have been that I simply admired her acting job? I don't know.
    :) But seeing this gif by chance, she just oozes being terrorized to the point of losing it.

"Castle Rock" sounds great! I've never watched it.

Oh, I really recommend the mini-series "The Shining." Steven Weber plays 'Jack Torrance' and his role is much more like the novel, from what I remember - - he starts out being a typical, everyday type of father/husband/person who also has problems with alcohol. (At least, I think Torrance has a problem with alcohol?) I think Stephen King had a hand in the production, too. But, also, a mini-series format allows much more time to allow such a progression that the plot contains. I think it was just a two-night thing --  four hours total. I own it on DVD.

Boy, this reply has turned out longer than I untended! Ha!
      October 1, 2018 8:37 AM MDT

Have you ever read her story.  What a life!  
      September 30, 2018 8:18 PM MDT

Yeah, you're right! I admit to not knowing everything that has happened. But, the little I've come across, here and there, I believe she's been having lots of challenges anymore? This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 1, 2018 8:57 AM MDT
      October 1, 2018 8:41 AM MDT

• I heard she was traumatized by Kubrick in that role, watched it recently, good stuff!! On a Halloween binge for October now, ..... for thinking of a cast member for a film on my mind right now Sybille Schmitz from my favorite horror film - Vampyr, ..... honoroble mention to Miss Mia Farrow (Rosemary's Baby) .
      October 1, 2018 8:43 PM MDT

Hi Jeff!
    I think I read that, too, once you mention it, that Duvall had a rough time with Kubrick.
    I haven't seen "Vampyr."

Funny - - an hour or so ago ,I posted about "Rosemary's Baby." I have an original movie poster for that movie matted and framed on my wall.
    This one (all it says on it is "Pray for Rosemary's Baby"); I love the style and layout:

Image result for Rosemary's Baby movie poster This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 2, 2018 4:19 PM MDT
      October 1, 2018 9:40 PM MDT

I didn't love the movie but I read a number of Levin books and loved them.  They were shortish...just right for a lazy Saturday.  Rosemary's Baby was one of them.  I think I still have them.  That was many years ago.
      October 2, 2018 4:21 PM MDT

I read the book, too. I like Levin, too. I enjoyed his "The Boys from Brazil."
      October 2, 2018 5:59 PM MDT

and The Stepford Wives........

October 2, 2018 9:41 PM MDT

That one, too, yes!
      October 3, 2018 6:59 AM MDT