Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Did you know our FDA spends $100 mill/yr on aborted baby parts for research?

Did you know our FDA spends $100 mill/yr on aborted baby parts for research?

https://eaglerising.com/62604/finally-it-takes-trump-to-cancel-fdas-aborted-baby-parts-contract/#!/back

Posted - October 2, 2018

Responses

I’m not surprised, but abortion questions usually lead to nasty and hateful discussions. This post was edited by Rizz at October 2, 2018 9:02 PM MDT
      October 2, 2018 8:55 PM MDT

I was simply surprised....I know we have the Hyde amendment which prevent tax money to pay for abortions but this evidently is allowed. 
      October 2, 2018 9:04 PM MDT

I'm glad to see that President Trump canceled the latest contract.
      October 4, 2018 8:47 AM MDT

no but now i do
      October 3, 2018 10:21 AM MDT

I read the article and no, I didn't know that. Makes one wonder what other abhorrent practices taxpayers money is used for. This post was edited by rusureamisure? at October 4, 2018 2:38 PM MDT
      October 4, 2018 8:43 AM MDT

No, but I'm also not surprised. 

To be clear, the idea sickens me. I don't like the idea of abortions, let alone using the tissues for anything after. From an emotional side, I really don't like the practice at all. From a logical side... medicines/ drugs have to be tested and it's important that research be done to understand how various things impact the human body, and there is literally no other way to know some things other than by running tests on human tissue. 

I have read the for/ against arguments on this particular case now and it seems that medical facilities don't make a practice of "selling parts," but they do charge fees to cover the costs of transferring/ caring for the tissue so it can be used for scientific research. From what I can tell, the women who are undergoing abortions give their approval for the tissue to be donated and nobody is actually making money from this- they're just getting their expenses covered. And, if that's the case, then I don't take any issue with the process, nor with the FDA for obtaining tissue. 

Realistically, I'm listed as an organ donor. What can't be used by other people when I die, science is welcomed to have. I have no need for my "parts" once I'm gone, and I hope that by donating, I can have some sort of lasting impact on others. I don't see this much differently. 
      October 4, 2018 10:24 AM MDT

I am sure you know I am strongly prolife (if it were up to me there would be no exceptions)
    I thought our tax money was defended from this type of stuff with the Hyde amendment but this is allowed (only because people don't know)

I know they claim the parts are not being sold just reimbursing the supposed cost. I think that when dealing with tax money it should not be spent on such things. If anything it should be a tax deduction just like any other charitable donation. 
      October 4, 2018 2:51 PM MDT

I knew you were pro-life, but I didn't realize you didn't allow for exceptions. Not even when the mother's health is in danger? Or in cases of rape or incest? Or when the baby has a known fatal condition? I'm not going to debate the merits of those with you- it's personal opinion. I'm just curious. 

The government does research and funds research that uses stem cells. Are your views so strong that you don't vaccinate (multiple vaccines are derived from fetal cells) or that you wouldn't use any of the treatments for various treatments derived from stem cells?

You don't have to answer- like I said I'm not going to debate this one because it is purely an opinion/ moral/ ethical thing. I'm just curious how you view the research and resulting treatments. 

October 4, 2018 4:19 PM MDT

I don't usually express that I would not allow the exceptions because it usually blows people away....but I think many have not even thought about why we have the exceptions. Why we allow one person to end a life and aother is not. I remained pro choice for many years because I could not justify the exceptions. 

I still cannot justify the exceptions and I cannot justify the abortion. If it is a baby (I believe it is), then it is a baby regardless of the circumstances of conception be it a loving relationship, casual sex, rape or incest.

I don't believe we should try to determine which life we will allow to live. If we apply that standard to unborn babies, how long will it be before we also apply that to the elderly or mentally/physically handicapped.

In the case of life of the Mother, the baby can be delivered with the intent to save the baby. This still saves Mom and attempts to also save baby. I realize there are cases such as a tubal pregnancy which threatens Mom's life and it is not possible to save the baby....this is not an abortion.....this is miscarriage.

I would not accept meds that come from fetal stem cells. 

As I understand it what is used for vaccines is actually cells that they have caused to replicate since the 1960s not from new abortions.

The number of abortions for these exceptions are less than 3% of total abortions. So politically it is not worth the argument for lawmakers. 

October 6, 2018 7:21 AM MDT