Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Is Your Refrigerator a Terrorist?

Is Your Refrigerator a Terrorist?

Another entry in the "Truth is Stranger than Fiction" category.

Kerry: Air conditioners as big a threat as ISIS

Posted - August 19, 2016

Responses

There are many things in the world more dangerous than terrorism, such as lightning strikes.

answermug.com/forum/topics/average-annual-us-deaths-due-to-lightning-strikes-33-average

But, as usual, bashing TEH STOOPID EBIL LIBRUHLZ is more fun than thinking rationally and proportionately about various threats.

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jul/02/opinion/op-gilbert2

August 19, 2016 9:56 PM MDT

I used to work in HVAC.  It's how I paid the bills in pursuit of other, more important life objectives.  I can tell you that 'refrigerant exposure,' if anyone were to suffer from it accidentally, would have hit me and other people like me first.

It didn't.  Refrigerants boil at temperatures far lower than ambient, and because of that they must be kept in sealed systems or cylinders.  The likelihood of anyone accidentally being injured or killed by 'refrigerant exposure' is somewhere between non-existent and minuscule. (People who died while intentionally 'huffing' refrigerant are another matter entirely.)

In any case, if you're gonna whip out a calculator, then you'd have to subtract the lives which have been SAVED by refrigeration/AC from the total lost.  Once you do that, there WILL be no contest. John Kerry is a militantly ignorant, alarmist buffoon.  He makes Trump look like a rocket scientist by comparison, and that takes SOME doing.

August 19, 2016 10:45 PM MDT

Pretty much everything in life (especially technical advances) carries risks. Some are inherent and some are incidental.  The risks associated with HVACR are minuscule, and are almost entirely incidental.  Even so, Kerry the Korpse, as alarmist goombah's usually do, failed to consider the number of lives SAVED by the very technology he slammed.

But then part of that form of diffusion psychosis is to be expected coming from individuals who have their noses hoist so high up into the stratosphere that they can't see real life.

August 19, 2016 10:56 PM MDT

Wait...what?  You actually HAVE a refrigerator?!

Planet killer!!

LOL!

August 19, 2016 10:57 PM MDT

No and neither are most people. That is the point. 

August 19, 2016 10:57 PM MDT

LOL!

I'd settle with super-gluing his lips.

August 19, 2016 10:58 PM MDT

If bashing "TEH STOOPID EBIL LIBRUHLZ" bothers you so much, perhaps you shouldn't participate in/on posts where it is occurring?  Just a thought...oh, yeah. I forgot.  Thinking isn't your strongest suit, huh? Sorry. :-)

August 19, 2016 11:00 PM MDT

• I can't possibly hate my country when most if not a large majority of appliances are not made in America these days. If my refrigerator ever decided to up and wreak havoc it would be that countries fault =D

August 20, 2016 12:18 AM MDT

Blame China!  ROTFLMAO!

August 20, 2016 12:38 AM MDT

Here here!!

August 20, 2016 2:26 AM MDT

Kerry's comment was a goofy attempt to say refrigerators are hurting the environment.  But like Al said, he is an idiot.  Did he personally deliver that $4 Million to Iran?

August 20, 2016 2:28 AM MDT
  • Bez

Are you talking about that bomb in front of my fridge? Lol:)

August 20, 2016 5:39 AM MDT

I do.

~ hangs head in shame

:)

August 20, 2016 8:03 AM MDT

And I realize in my answer I really didn't address the bulk of your question - - the weirdness of the, as someone else called it, the "sound-bitish-ness" quality of the Kerry's comparison. I instead made my own rather broad statement. Oh ,well.

Thanks for responding to my answer and comment, Nimitz. I think I read here in a thread that you lean toward a Libertarian stance --  I've received my share of strange looks/questions when I share what I find are very valid points of the Libertarian party.

August 20, 2016 8:10 AM MDT

Just goes with their belief that "climate change/global warming" is the biggest threat to the world......

August 20, 2016 8:30 AM MDT

1.No, it doesn't fit the definition.
    2. Terrorism: the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims. This is a political weapon.
    3. Terrorist: a person, usually a member of a group, who uses or advocates terrorism.

Big threats are:
    1. Nuclear weapons.
    2. Global warming.

I think the media is using the term as a symbol of a first world luxury item to compare it to real person who uses terrorism as a weapon. First world people don't think of a refrigerator as a luxury item at all. We see it as basic. But compared to people who lack food and water, it is.

In writing, I would call it a hyperbole---an exaggeration.
      August 20, 2016 9:20 AM MDT

Spoken like a real true Suthun Smahtass!!!!  Well done!

August 20, 2016 1:26 PM MDT

"In writing, I would call it a hyperbole---an exaggeration."

And you'd be spot on!

August 20, 2016 2:49 PM MDT

On the president's orders he personally authorized the shipment, yes.

August 20, 2016 2:50 PM MDT

I duz wut I kin. :-)

August 20, 2016 2:51 PM MDT

"The irony is though that Kerry is part of the rich elite who benefit from the system he chastises and encourages."

Precisely--only I'd call it brazen hypocrisy.

"What Kerry doesn't understand about global warming is a lot. But in the end, he really doesn't care, so long as he has a nice soft bed to sleep in and someone to cook all his food."

And that is why the majority of Americans have long since laughed off "global warming" for the monstrous farce/control drama that it is.  I'm not saying there's nothing to the actual SCIENCE of global warming, but only that its legitimacy has been lost by the efforts of elitists to use it as a justification for control. 

August 20, 2016 2:54 PM MDT

First off, your personal, anecdotal experience does not constitute data. Second, to make claims about lives saved vs lives lost is pointless due to the lack of relevant data. Third, you've not addressed the environmental impact, which is what I presume was the context of Kerry's statement. Fourth, you've not actually presented any meaningful data on the actual deaths that can be attributes to ISIS in particular. So the Fox guy is still an ignorant blowhard, and you are being uncritical and gullible by agreeing with him.
      August 20, 2016 2:58 PM MDT

We have three...plus a chest freezer.  It's OK, though.  We only keep liberals in the chest freezer. LOL!

August 20, 2016 2:59 PM MDT

You gotta watch out for us libertarians.

August 20, 2016 3:03 PM MDT

People crave freedom.  They'll travel the world in search of it.  They'll risk life and limb to get it.  Our would be owners know this, and they also know that the only way to control us is to get and keep us so scared that we'll abandon our search for freedom and beg them to take care of us.  That's what 'global warming' and the asinine wars on terror/drugs are all about.  Keeping us so scared that we give up this silly talk about freedom.

As ever, it's up to us to see through all the bovine excrement.

August 20, 2016 3:07 PM MDT