Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Is it reasonable to expect people not to make partisan comments?

Is it reasonable to expect people not to make partisan comments?

To be clear, this isn't a comment aimed at any person or either political party, but it seems like mud-slinging is at an all-time high across all media and social media platforms. Personally, I don't think we have a problem with the democrats or republicans or the left or the right or the liberals or the conservatives. I think it's the polarization and the us vs. them mentality that will do us all in. 

Are people, in general, capable of stopping these kinds of remarks? Should they be stopped? What would it take to stop them?

Posted - October 9, 2018

Responses

I think it's reasonable to want and hope that people be respectful of each other's rights to express their views.

I would prefer to see more informed and reasoned debate, where each side clearly lays out the values behind their chosen policies and why they think such strategies would work better, preferably giving the facts and citing the sources.

This way each would understand the other better, rather than constantly reacting to and with prejudice.

It is probably impossible for any government to be perfect -
    because all humans are flawed, and the result of all collective action is the sum, and greater than the sum, of those flaws.

But democracy is still a far better option than civil war.
    Democracy allows a coup d'etat and change of government without the bloodshed and all that it entails.

Therefore, let us strive to learn how to debate and think as good citizens who respect the whole system,
    rather than partisans divided from one another.

This post was edited by inky at October 14, 2018 10:08 AM MDT
      October 9, 2018 1:16 AM MDT

OK but I see a lot of "facts" and "sources" cited here as "truth" when they are primarily used as self-justification and to bludgeon others with.  As though the person with the most "facts" and "sources" somehow must win! Now facts can be wonderful and they can flower into truths but we must question their sources which can be and are very partisan and skewed in themselves.  We can read all the sources in the universe but what good are they if they don't accord with our experience and that of most other people we know?  
      October 9, 2018 6:44 AM MDT

For atheists, that which is true may be due to sound logic, 
    or because it can be proven as a fact,
    or because both the logic and the facts work together.
    Bad or false logic is called a fallacy. There are fifteen kinds of logical fallacy.
    Cherry-picking facts is one of the fallacies; if someone selects only the facts that suit their argument but ignore other facts which undermine it, then their argument is invalid and fails.

For people who are well educated, irrespective of their beliefs, an argument is persuasive if it is based on both factual evidence and sound logic.
    People who are open-minded and have values which prioritise sound logic and use of facts can be persuaded by such arguments.
    This is why proof is vital to any argument.

I'm sorry about the feeling of friction.
    I accept that you and I will probably rarely agree because we have different ideas about what constitutes truth,
    and we have different values.

In English, the word truth has two possible meanings (see any dictionary):
    that which is true or in accordance with fact or reality
    or
    a fact or belief that is accepted as true.

These two meanings can lead to much confusion and friction in Western culture because, for a believer, the faith and its doctrines are The Truth.  For some, especially the creationist sects, where there is a disagreement between scientifically proven facts and the doctrines of the faith, the faith takes precedence.
    Even in ecumenical congresses, the faithful debate over what is true - but in these circumstances, they use the Old and New Testament as their basis of evidence, and their interpretations as the basis from which to argue.

No one can read "all the sources in the universe"; the recorded knowledge is so vast that even experts can't read everything in their field in one lifetime.
    However, we laypeople can easily find out what the world's top experts have to say and cross-check it against the latest in peer-reviewed evidence. We can be diligent in our research to try to discover if there is contrary evidence. We can analyse the logic and statistics to ensure that they are not skewed.
    No matter what our points of view or biases, it is always possible to examine all sides of an issue with integrity.

October 15, 2018 8:09 PM MDT

We are living in the ENd Times. Something will stop them.
      October 9, 2018 1:22 AM MDT

Respectful and Reasonable sometimes get confused.
    You can respect someone else for their opinion and not agree.
    You can be reasonable in sharing your opinion, respectfully so.
    Why not do both?
    There is no shame in your opinion but why make a stink about it?
    Agree not to agree and move on. Agree to agree.

The most enjoyable alternative is to find a balance in both.  There are good sides and bad sides to any situation.  Seek them both and find a common ground. Combine.

Problem solved.

This post was edited by Merlin at October 15, 2018 8:04 PM MDT
      October 9, 2018 4:15 AM MDT

IF - "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it".  - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

October 9, 2018 10:33 AM MDT

:) :)
      October 9, 2018 11:15 AM MDT

There are some moderates, but it's not nearly so exciting. 
      October 9, 2018 5:21 AM MDT

We are living in an increasingly polarized social environment. Many people are passionate (or worse) and the media reflects it, and feeds on it. It sits out in front every day for all to see.
    I don’t think it entirely reasonable to expect partisan commentaries to disappear in light of how they dominate the discourse everywhere else. Makes for a more lively and compelling forum, IMO.
    After all, how long can we converse intelligently about tildes and trash bags ...
      October 9, 2018 6:31 AM MDT

I agree, but we could also talk about sandwiches and grammar.
      October 9, 2018 10:56 AM MDT

I'm not sure you are helping, SpunkySenior---lol 
      October 9, 2018 10:58 AM MDT

Some days I come on here, scroll one page of questions, and then go back to watching the paint dry.
      October 9, 2018 11:00 AM MDT

Some days I come on here just to see who is on and who I can play with.  You happen to be one of those people, tom... 
    That is a compliment...:) :)
      October 9, 2018 11:12 AM MDT

I knew it was---thanks
      October 9, 2018 12:06 PM MDT

I know, the grass isn’t growing at a watchable rate this year...
      October 9, 2018 3:23 PM MDT

True.

I have found it necessary to keep a small jar of paint and a box of disposable brushes nearby.
      October 9, 2018 4:13 PM MDT

I wasn't suggesting issues shouldn't be talked about. It's more the slant I'm not keen on. The Kavanaugh situation is an easy and recent example. Instead of people reporting on the facts as they were known or debating the merits of the case, it repeatedly came back to democrats are doing XYZ and republicans are doing XYZ. That's a problem. In doing that, I don't think we'll ever make any headway on anything. 
      October 9, 2018 12:54 PM MDT

I don’t think it’s unhealthy, as long as we police the occasional incivility. Just let it be what it is, people expressing opinions. Not all are pearls. This post was edited by Don Barzini at October 10, 2018 9:51 AM MDT
      October 9, 2018 3:20 PM MDT

I don't need all to be "pearls," but some opinions are similarly small and round and typically found in the rabbit hutch.
      October 9, 2018 4:35 PM MDT

:)
    You know, you can take a boy out of the rabbit hutch, but you... This post was edited by Don Barzini at October 10, 2018 9:52 AM MDT
      October 9, 2018 6:55 PM MDT

A definite chuckle on that one.
      October 9, 2018 7:43 PM MDT

We cannot learn from one another until we stop shouting at one another - until we speak quietly enough so that our words can be heard as well as our voices. -  Richard M. Nixon

October 10, 2018 9:55 AM MDT

There will always be partisan comments and discussions and I can see nothing wrong or improper with that.  Which can have a very personal import when they question and challenge almost everything we have valued and believed in.  But when it comes down to the name-calling, demonizing, and mud-slinging I think those go beyond the respectful and the polite whether in personal interaction or on the net.   I realize that not everything in life is "polite" but one thing we can learn from polite society is respect for one another which is necessary for any successful social interaction or working together. 
      October 9, 2018 6:34 AM MDT

Hello JA:

Nice to see you again.

Partisan comments and being a jerk are NOT the same thing.. It's not unreasonable to expect decorum, but you don't have to ban politics in order to achieve it..  It IS possible for a person to vociferously attack a persons  argument, WITHOUT attacking the person who made it..

excon

October 9, 2018 6:38 AM MDT