Discussion » Questions » Communication » When texting, what is the point in spelling words incorrectly when it doesn't reduce the number of letters?
Bez

When texting, what is the point in spelling words incorrectly when it doesn't reduce the number of letters?

I thought the idea of abbreviating words was to reduce the number of characters used because of the limitations, not to spell words wrong just to be an annoying idiot. For example, I recently saw a text in which the word "speech" was spelled "speach". I mean, why? What purpose does it serve to insert the wrong letter when it is still the same number of letters as the correct spelling? Worse still, I remember seeing a text with an extra letter that shouldn't have been there, and the presence of the extra letter altered the pronunciation of the word. Instead of "gorgeous" it said "georgeous". Obviously, the first syllable of that would be pronounced like "George". I think a six-year-old would know that, so what was the point of that rogue "e"? What did the texter hope to achieve by putting it there?

Posted - August 20, 2016

Responses

• Yeah I don't understand "boi" or anything like that. Just to be cool, I guess? Adding an extra letter makes me think the people actually don't know how to spell the word. 

August 20, 2016 9:12 AM MDT
  • Bez

Occasionally it may be excusable to not know how to spell a word (for example, when I was 8 I was the only one in my class to correctly spell "hyperbolic paraboloid", and even then I didn't really like to brag about it), but when the incorrectitude is as obvious as "georgeous" where it is glaringly obvious that it would alter the pronunciation of the intended word, it is far from excusable.

As for "boi" and other similar nonsense, that's about as "cool" as being locked inside an oven on a steaming hot day in August. Lol:)

August 20, 2016 8:50 PM MDT