Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Do you remember the good old days when blocking a telephone number was simple AND effective? Now they just bounce back with a different

Do you remember the good old days when blocking a telephone number was simple AND effective? Now they just bounce back with a different

number, same telemarketer. Grrrrrrr. 

Posted - October 16, 2018

Responses

I just registered with the FTC 'no call' website. That was four days ago and I have received only three crank calls. They do tell you, however, that you may have to re-register every couple of months as the telemarketers find another way to call you. Good luck.
      October 16, 2018 7:05 AM MDT

not even sure how to block nunnbers
      October 16, 2018 9:29 AM MDT

I've a feeling these firms are moving from telephones to the Internet. I seem to receive far fewer sales calls than in the past, when I've sometimes had to resort to lies to get rid of them, such as telling some home-improvement company, "Yes I am interested, but I'd have to ask the landlord".

If it's an obvious scam like "I'm from the Windows Corporation", I've sometimes called him "Liar!" and hung up immediately. 

The oddest I've received was from an English-accented man (itself odd - most are Asian) who responded to my single word "Hello?" with the polite, "Good afternoon. Am I speaking to Mrs. [Durdle]?"

When I replied, "No, it's Mr. [Durdle]" he rang off immediately. No idea what he was trying to sell. Not sure I want to know. 

In the last few weeks I've received a raft of e-posts from some outfit claiming to sell jewellery at bargain prices. The screen name is or includes "Pandora", but the source address does not, and is always different, to circumvent blocking. After blocking a few and marking them as "Spam", I noticed the actions menu included reporting them as "phishing", so I have done that.
      November 20, 2018 5:00 PM MST