Active Now

Slartibartfast
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Do you consider VOTER SUPPRESSION a dirty trick or just part of the body politic? ONLY RED STATE GOVERNORS engage in it! Coinkydink?

Do you consider VOTER SUPPRESSION a dirty trick or just part of the body politic? ONLY RED STATE GOVERNORS engage in it! Coinkydink?

Posted - October 16, 2018

Responses

Voter suppression is despicable... (contemptible, loathsome, hateful, detestable, reprehensible, abhorrent, abominable, awful, heinous)

Since 2008, states across the country have passed measures to make it harder for Americans—particularly black people, the elderly, students, and people with disabilities—to exercise their fundamental right to cast a ballot. These measures include cuts to early voting, voter ID laws, and purges of voter rolls.

The ACLU is engaged in advocacy and litigation across the country to get rid of these harmful voter suppression measures once and for all.

Examples: Prairie View A&M University's voter registration issues are resolved, but voting barriers remain - https://www.texastribune.org/2018/10/16/Prairie-View-voter-registration/

Georgia: voter suppression claims ramp up in governor’s race as lawsuits are filed - https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/17/georgia-voter-suppression-allegations-governors-race-lawsuits

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at October 18, 2018 8:28 AM MDT
      October 18, 2018 6:51 AM MDT

To what extent was it a DIRTY TRICK for the so-called "news" media to get together and try to suppress Republican votes by assigning the color RED to Republicans and BLUE to Democrats?  This is something relatively recent - previously in fact the colors were accepted to symbolize exactly the opposite. 
      October 18, 2018 6:51 AM MDT

In WA/OR ... voter suppression seems to involve losing boxes of voter ballots ... which miraculously are discovered when they need more votes for the Democrat candidate.

Makes me wonder how many votes are "misplaced" and never found.
      October 18, 2018 12:10 PM MDT

Could you clarify what you mean please? Who is hiding the boxes of votes that are miraculously discovered? The Democrats? How does that make sense? I think our views of election shenanigans are not in concert. Who "discovers" the missing boxes that miraculously appear? Where when and how often has that happened? You speak of it as if were a regularly happening thing. I am unaware of it. Could you fill me in please and thank you.
      October 19, 2018 3:17 AM MDT

I'm honestly not sure who is "misplacing" the ballots.
    It is quite common in WA and OR elections at the state level.
    In a governor race a few years ago, they "found" 3 closets of ballots ... at 3 different times ... and the court only ruled to stop counting the "found" ballots, from Republican areas, once the Democrat had enough votes to win.  (The court allowed counting "found" ballots from Democrat areas.)

The "misplaced" ballots are found by county election workers.
    WA and OR are completely mail-in ballots.  So ballots can arrive a month ahead of the actual vote.  Why are workers placing boxes of ballots in unsecured locations, that nobody is aware they are being stored?  No reporter or investigator has ever asked the county workers.

My personal opinion is it isn't necessarily about the candidate ... it is about initiative measures that somebody doesn't want to see pass.  So they "misplace" ballots from certain areas that would tend to vote in favor of whatever the initiative is.  When it backfires, and they don't have enough votes to elect their chosen candidate, they "discover" the "misplaced" ballots.

October 19, 2018 7:08 AM MDT

Facebook is already suppressing voters' views. Mainly Republican to judge by my cousin.
      October 18, 2018 12:37 PM MDT

If only red state governors engage in it, then how do you explain dark blue New York and Democratic governor Andrew Cuomo, where voter suppression is facilitated by antiquated rules that don't allow online registration or early voting and require registration or change in party enrollment only in person or by mail months in advance of any election?
      October 18, 2018 10:02 PM MDT

not sure what to consider it
      October 19, 2018 2:55 PM MDT