Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are you Jewish when it's convenient and practical? Is being one like putting on and taking off a coat? When it suits you?

Are you Jewish when it's convenient and practical? Is being one like putting on and taking off a coat? When it suits you?

Don't you feel an OBLIGATION to speak up when some heinous tragedy affects  the Jewish Community? Why?

Posted - October 28, 2018

Responses

I am not Jewish. But I do support the Jewish people and Israel.
      October 28, 2018 12:03 PM MDT

I am by heritage, passed down through the females in the family. I not only support the Jewish people, but all people of all nations. I just don't support many governments. I am not a speaker upper, though.
      October 28, 2018 1:23 PM MDT

As is your right, Element!  You nor anyone else should be forced or shamed for independent thoughts and actions!

October 28, 2018 2:08 PM MDT

Thank you, bro.
      October 29, 2018 7:03 AM MDT

Jews don’t like Muslims, right?  And vice-versa.   I once had a Muslim co-worker, and he got offended that I said “Israel.”  He corrected me by saying, “It is not Israel. It is Palestine!” This post was edited by Mr. Speedy Skates at October 29, 2018 12:03 AM MDT
      October 29, 2018 12:01 AM MDT

How did you come to the conclusion about Jews not liking Muslims? I had Muslim colleagues and students at my last school. We all liked each other, and we were all appalled at the violence in the Mideast.
      October 29, 2018 7:08 AM MDT

The line "Jews don't like Muslims" attitude closely mirrors the one Rosie posted a few months ago with her "Blacks hate Mexicans" tripe. Concepts like that have a two-fold negative effect: 1] unnecessarily creates animosity, and 2] presupposes that each and every person within the mentioned group thinks the exact same way. Rosie got away with that one cleanly, even though at least one person raised a protest. 

The fact that you cite a single anecdotal situation you personally experienced doesn't equate to grounds for painting entire populations with a crap-laden brush.

It's true that some Jewish people either hate or dislike some or all Muslims, and vice-versa. It's also true that there are plenty of Jewish people and Muslims who hate no one. It's curious that only the assumption of hatred is what you chose to illuminate . . . 

October 29, 2018 9:15 PM MDT

Thank you for such an enlightened expression. Kind of funny and extremely ironic, isn't it, that our supposedly open-minded friends who are beside themselves and angry at the world because Trump is president and purportedly fomenting hate and bigotry are themselves exhibiting that tendency? They demonstrate extreme closed-mindedness and make blanket assumptions about groups of people they know little or nothing about that belie their own bigotry and prejudices.
      October 29, 2018 9:44 PM MDT

Oh. Okay.
      October 29, 2018 2:43 AM MDT

I am not now nor have I ever been Jewish, regardless of convenience either way. All people, Jewish or not, have the right to react to situations in the ways that they see fit, without meddlers sticking their noses in to dictate thought, word and action. I wish that the "social justice warriors" would stop trying to force others to think and act in the ways they assume should be taking place and/or shame others for failing to think or act in particular ways. 
      October 28, 2018 1:28 PM MDT

:):):)
      October 28, 2018 2:05 PM MDT

Indeed. Well said.
      October 29, 2018 7:08 AM MDT

I was born and raised in a consciously and actively Jewish home. My brother is a conservative rabbi, and he recently retired as a colonel and the ranking Jewish chaplain in the US Army having, at times, risked his life, especially as a Jew, serving in combat zones in Afghanistan and Iraq. Coincidentally, before attending rabbinical school at the Jewish Theological Seminary, he was a student at the University of Pittsburgh's business school and lived less than a mile from Tree of Life Synagogue in Squirrel Hill.

I am proud to be a Jew and an active member of my egalitarian conservative congregation, and, as my friends and others on here know, I've never denied or hid my identity as such. I've even been known to insert my foot in my mouth over this - once or twice, anyway. LOL.

Here's a thought, my friend Rosie. If you don't have anything positive or supportive to say, perhaps it's better not to post anything, especially at a time like this in the wake of a horrible tragedy, when the last thing anyone needs is to feel disrespected or disparaged. Not certain you meant it that way, but just saying that it's best to err on the side of sensitivity.
      October 28, 2018 1:59 PM MDT

Oops, Stu; the censors will delete this as a personal attack because you dared to present a logically sound rebuttal to rabid ravings, and you did so in a respectful manner. Please keep in mind that only one type of off-the-wall commentary is allowed on this website, and its source must be protected at all costs. Opposing viewpoints and failure to fall lock-step in with the ideology are both frowned upon. 
      October 28, 2018 2:06 PM MDT

:):):) Indeed.
      October 28, 2018 3:09 PM MDT

Gotta love that sarcasm.
      October 29, 2018 7:10 AM MDT

I have never passed myself off as anything except on Halloween.  

When I was in college I sprayed myself black and went as a black hooker.  Boy if I did that today I would be hung.   What would Megan Kelley say about that.  Would she defend me?  I didn't even know I was crossing some line because I was color-blind as to racism.  I thought it was silly and obviously I was way younger and it was a more innocent time.  We did not hate people just because they had black skin.  I mean there was rampant racism, but it was more like on the way out and we thought we were radically different and able to change the way skin color was judged.  

Boy was I wrong.  I cannot believe the inbred morons who still care about nationality.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 29, 2018 7:11 AM MDT
      October 28, 2018 2:43 PM MDT

Life as we knew it is gone Sharon. I think the damage and vile hatred promulgated by the dippidy doo super don is spreading so rapidly and so deeply that we will never be  able to recover from it. While true that the dippidy do did not create hate it is very true that he has brought it out from the slime and made it a prideful thing and keeps hammering away at all those who despise him to excoriate them and keep them in the sights of the wackadoodle worshippers. He makes his critics targets for take out! He knows it. His adoring worshippers know it. All their bullsh** protestations to the contrary everyone knows what he is. A male Pandora. Thank you for your thoughtful reply! Where do we go from here?  How does it matter? Until he goes or is dragged away we are stuck. This post was edited by RosieG at October 29, 2018 4:05 AM MDT
      October 29, 2018 2:47 AM MDT

"Life as we knew it is gone, Sharon." [Comma added.  Learn.]

Seventy* to eighty years ago (and beyond), life was much better for the average white person in America. Ask anyone who isn't white and was around back then to validate that for you. 

I guess you're right, Rosie: the life you once knew is gone. Are you mourning it?

*I selected this particular time period because it's wholly appropriate for this particular audience. 

October 29, 2018 9:35 PM MDT

:):):)
      October 29, 2018 9:59 PM MDT

As with all religions, there are strict adherents and more easy-going ones, those who insist on their particular version and those who accept that others can view the faith differently.

Any heinous crime is a crime against humanity, not just the particular faith group affected. 

October 28, 2018 3:35 PM MDT

That is a global view of those who see mankind as a whole and not fractured. John Donne wrote "No man is an island entire of itself. Every man's death diminishes me. Therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." I believe that is true. I believe that is also true for you. Sadly it is not true for the rigid partisan haters-of-"the other" who bond with their "mirror images" and fear distrust hate "the other". In my opinion. Thank you for your reply Malizz and Happy Monday! :)
      October 29, 2018 4:24 AM MDT

I know the piece well; I performed it several times in choral settings. A brilliant poem.

Every man is a piece of the continent,
    a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as any manner of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind.
      October 29, 2018 5:38 PM MDT

Don't you think this question might be a little insulting to Jewish people?  Are you going to tell them how to be Jewish? 
      October 29, 2018 4:47 AM MDT