Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Do you know of any films in which the same director has remade his/her same film in two different languages and two different casts?

Do you know of any films in which the same director has remade his/her same film in two different languages and two different casts?

These are Michael Haneke's two "Funny Games." I've only seen the original German/Austrian version, the one with dark-haired Arno Frisch, not blond-haired Michael Pitt.

Related image

Posted - November 4, 2018

Responses

• "Ringu 2" the first sequel in the Japanese movie franchise "Ringu" was directed by Hideo Nakata.  He had previously directed the first instalment.

Hollywood's treatment of the franchise varies somewhat.  After Gore Verbinski the director of "The Ring"  refused to direct the sequel to the American film versions, Hideo Nakata was brought in to do "Ring 2"

Although the original "Ringu" and "The Ring" were similar, and the director of both sequels was the same, each one had plots that veered off in different directions from the other.  

November 4, 2018 7:57 PM MST

You've written that very well! I still have a challenge following all the details of the ins and outs of which director did what to whom and when. Ha!
    :)

I saw both versions of "The Ring" -- the original and American remake. But now I'm second guessing myself. I remember a strong, unnerving scene of a horse on a ferry boat going crazy. I can't remember if that is in both movies or not. But thanks for answering -- this interests me. Even though I admit I enjoyed the chance to talk about the original "Funny Games." That one blew me away.
    So, my mind is challenged at the moment -- did Nakata direct the original "Ringu"? I assume Nakata did. I could look it up just as easily, ha!

Anyway, thanks, Lollipop!
      November 5, 2018 10:59 AM MST

• If it makes you feel any better, its hard for me to follow too.  LOL.  I was so out of it when I tried explaining it.  Good luck on any investigating you do.  I'd love to know what you find out.  You are far more knowledgeable about cinema than I am.
      November 5, 2018 11:46 AM MST

Boy, I'm unsure about being knowledgeable.
    Ha!

I have to go now but, if I remember to look into it, I'll let you know. 
    Later!
      November 5, 2018 11:50 AM MST

Director: George Sluizer
    The Vanishing (Spoorloos)(1988)
    The Vanishing (1993)
      November 4, 2018 8:36 PM MST

I've seen that original 1988 version. I liked it a lot. And, now that I think of it, I may remember reading about a remake. But I don't think I knew it was the same director.
    Thanks, Flint Ironstag.
      November 5, 2018 10:45 AM MST

• So muy contribution to this madness are the movies, "Ju-On" and "The Grudge"

Both were directed by Takashi Shimizu and interesting, both versions take place in Japan, but The Grudge has American actors, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Jason Behr, Clea Duvall, and Bill Pullman.

Aside from having the same director, the film had one other common factor; Yuya Ozeki reprises his role as Toshio (the spooky cat kid)

November 4, 2018 8:43 PM MST

I've only seen the original, which I liked. I haven't seen "The Grudge"  but have heard of it. And I don't think I knew it was a remake of "Ju-On," let alone the same director.
    Thanks, Judas H Goat. this is all sort of interesting to me.

I sometimes would wish that directors just leave well enough alone, rather than just change the language and make the same movie. I assume profit/money is part of the decision for remakes.
    I still have not watched the American English "Funny Games." Like we've talked about, I do like Michael Pitt a lot and I am sure he is very, very good in the role -- but the original movie and cast are so strong to me. Arno Frisch is very strong to me. I just don't know if I'd like to sit through the same movie experience. Too disturbing the first time, let alone watching it all happen again with new people! Ha!
      November 5, 2018 10:52 AM MST

no
      November 5, 2018 10:38 AM MST

I hadn't thought I had, too, other than my example in my question.
    But I have heard of some of these movies mentioned in other answers.
      November 5, 2018 10:43 AM MST

Only if I cheat and google something. 

https://mentalfloss.com/article/51881/9-directors-who-remade-their-own-films
      November 5, 2018 11:08 AM MST

I've got to run off for now but the link I will look at later for sure! That was smart to look the information up that way.
    With my fascination with the original 1997 "Funny Games," I hope the list includes director Michael Haneke.
      November 5, 2018 11:52 AM MST

I finally looked at your link.

As I wondered in my original comment to you, I now find that the article includes "Funny Games."
      June 4, 2019 7:54 PM MDT