Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Does the current rhetoric of the NRA remind you of another place and time?

Does the current rhetoric of the NRA remind you of another place and time?

After yet another mass shooting, the (nearly bankrupt) National Rifle Association still proclaims guns are not a problem, and: “...anti-gun Docs should stay in their lane.”
The US Medical community disagrees. 
What do you think?

Posted - November 8, 2018

Responses

Automatic weapons?  Seriously you can get Class 3 weapons now, they have always been legal.  Private ownership has to be a waepon manufactured before 86.  Those manufactured after that require a special license.  The Class 3 process is a pain in the ass. 

Bump Stocks, any good machinist can make one.  I have not seen one NRA pub or person advocate for these.  Now a few of the Nut Jobs have.

Semi-Autos have always been legal,

So what are you defining as as "Automatic"?
      November 9, 2018 9:47 AM MST

I think what we need to establish is “available“ isn’t necessarily legal. Stolen guns are available, if you travel in the right circles, and 
    Criminals seldom get guns legally. So no background check, no waiting period. 

I am personally glad the Class 3 process is such a pain, IMO, there should be no path to civilian ownership of such weapons. 
      November 9, 2018 11:51 AM MST

You would have a hard time in Switzerland and Austria.  In Switzerland my old neighbors always had their assigned assault rifles  (full auto), another neighbor had a Machine gun and a squad load of ammo.  On Fridays and Saturdays it was always amusing at the bus stop as they were going off for drill. Same goes for Austria, except most people drive.

In the US legal class 3 if you have the money are always available.  Now for ease one heads towards El Paso or similar and picks up full auto weapon from over the border.  Been told there are a number of great shops there.

Nigeria  among other places a full auto AK 47 or 74 AKM can be had for as little as $25 - 30, Djibouti thye are about $35.  In some ways Nigeria is safer than here. This post was edited by Archerchef at November 15, 2018 11:30 PM MST
      November 9, 2018 2:24 PM MST

Fortunately for me, Switzerland and Austria, beautiful as they are, have the types of winters that will prevent my residence. :) 
      November 9, 2018 2:41 PM MST

Your loss
      November 9, 2018 4:02 PM MST

I already live in paradise. 
      November 9, 2018 5:04 PM MST

no
      November 9, 2018 12:47 PM MST

For many years, conscientious pediatricians/family practitioners have asked a series of questions at well-child visits in order to assess the child's overall health and identify risks. Among these is a question about whether or not there are firearms in the home. Some parents are confused and/or offended by this question. I'm sure there are many social media posts about this, with people complaining about the question being posed. 

We all make choices regarding out health and safety. I think medical professionals are obliged to inform us of risks, regardless of what gun-peddlers, alcohol and tobacco companies, the meat industry, etc., etc. have to say about it. 

** Etc., etc. includes pharmaceutical companies, which many doctors seem to either not realize or conveniently forget!**
      November 10, 2018 9:19 AM MST

Mass shootings will be a thing of the past only under messianic kingdom rule, and not before! (Isaiah 9:6,7)man's greed by far exceeds other emotions. (1john5:19)
      November 15, 2018 11:11 PM MST

With all due respect, give me a break. If god was so all-knowing and powerful, we wouldn't have these kind of horrible events at all.
      November 15, 2018 11:32 PM MST

The fact that God has allowed the horrible events to unfold bears nothing on his being all knowing as well as all powerful. It's a matter of reasoning in the matter as well as respecting the bible as the authority on this subject.
      November 16, 2018 5:14 PM MST

The bible is a piece of literature written by people. It is thus inanimate and cannot be an authority on anything. People are authorities, books are not.
      November 16, 2018 6:25 PM MST

Though it is a book hand written by men  they were inspired by Jehovah God himself through his almighty holy spirit. With technology being what it is today, it is not so hard to understand how Jehovah communicated his thoughts to humans so they in turn could write down what he transmitted to them. "For you know this first, that no prophecy of Scripture springs from any private interpretation. For prophecy was at no time brought by man's will, but men spoke from God as they were moved by holy spirit." (2 Peter 1:20,21)
      November 16, 2018 10:48 PM MST

Yes, it reminds me of the tobacco industry.

November 16, 2018 6:56 AM MST