Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Why do the same people who were fine with white working class voters helping elect Bill Clinton think they're wrong for helping elect Trump?

Why do the same people who were fine with white working class voters helping elect Bill Clinton think they're wrong for helping elect Trump?

Isn't it odd that people suddenly think that Trump is somehow less legitimate because some voters who supported him are "under-educated," implying that they're stupid dumba$$es, when these folks are a portion of the electorate that help decide every presidential election, and they helped deliver the White House to Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, both Bushes, Clinton, and Barack Obama?

Posted - November 18, 2018

Responses

Are you insane?  Don't you DARE compare the two.  

I have a lot of energy today so, bring it.  You will lose.

Bill Clinton was a great president.  I'm sorry.  He did a lot of crappy things.  He did.  But for that era?  He was a prince among princes.

He did not put kids in cages.  He did not lie every time his lips moved.  He never disrespected anyone who needed to speak with him in the press.  He did not threaten nor ruin careers because he did not agree with someone who disliked him.  He never thought about how the country could serve him.  He worked his butt off.  He did more in one day than Trump did in two years.   

Yes, he made some huuuge errors.  He was a normal President.  He could not hold a candle to the most disgusting pig ever to grace the Oval.

How could you  not be embarrassed to say this.  

Don't you watch tv at all?  Don't you follow the news?  There is everyday horror in that White House.  

And Clinton won the election fair and square.  He didn't call Putin.  

God how can you be so obtuse. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 18, 2018 8:17 PM MST
      November 18, 2018 7:35 PM MST

I have no argument with your assessment of Clinton. I liked him too. But I think it's disingenuous to say that it was OK for him to win the presidency because he was supported by white working class voters, but then turn around and claim that Trump is somehow less legitimate as a president because he was elected with the help of the same white working class voters.

And "you will lose?" Is this some kind of game?
    This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at November 19, 2018 1:37 PM MST
      November 18, 2018 8:01 PM MST

I don't think that is what's up. I think that what's so astounding is that Trump was able to trick these people into thinking that he cared about them and was going to do things that were in their best interest. Like, they forgot that he's an alleged billionaire who would probably prefer to see impoverished people exterminated, except then there would be no one to work for him. 

I'm not saying that Bill Clinton really gave a rat's a$$ about the poor, but at least he pretended to, as does the democratic party. 
      November 18, 2018 9:33 PM MST

But how do you distinguish between Trump "tricking people into thinking he cared about them" and Clinton "pretending to" care about them? Aren't we basically talking about the same thing? If you think about it, the same thing happened that occurs in every presidential election - the winner convinces this important group that he cares more about them than his opponent does. Richard Nixon did this better than Hubert Humphrey and George McGovern, Jimmy Carter did it better than Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan did it better than Carter and Walter Mondale, Clinton did it better than Bush 41 and Bob Dole, Bush 43 did it better than Al Gore and John Kerry, Barack Obama did it better than John McCain and Mitt Romney, and Trump did it better than Hillary Clinton.

I'm no fan of Trump and there are plenty of reasons to dislike him, but his path to victory was not that different than that of other  winning candidates.
      November 18, 2018 10:09 PM MST

I second what Savvy says. It's not so much that there's a stigma with the working class. It's that the policies don't jive with what's best for the group. It's kind of like minorities and people with disabilities voting for Trump. He says all kinds of things about both groups and even mocks them. Why would you vote for someone who sincerely thinks you deserve to be mocked? Why would you vote for someone who doesn't value you or represent your values? There's a sincere disconnect here.
      November 19, 2018 10:33 AM MST

But somehow, Trump did significantly better with minority voters than McCain in 2008 and Romney in 2012. Perhaps it had something to do with Hillary's lack of appeal.
      November 19, 2018 2:12 PM MST

I'm sure it did. This was one election where many people didn't vote for a candidate they liked. They voted for the candidate they disliked the least or the one they thought would do the least amount of damage. 
      November 19, 2018 5:20 PM MST

(working-class)
      February 23, 2019 10:51 PM MST