Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » What determines what firmness we prefer in a mattress?

What determines what firmness we prefer in a mattress?

If I sleep on a hard mattress, my back kills me, but I know others who have similar back problems and prefer a hard mattress. And, I know people without ailments that prefer either one. It doesn't seem to be tied to health conditions or weight. 

Posted - November 20, 2018

Responses

• "Experience"
      November 20, 2018 11:33 PM MST

If you do suffer from serious back problems, you need a relatively firm mattress - it's almost impossible to get up from a soft one.
      November 20, 2018 11:40 PM MST

It depends on what the problems are- that was my point. I slept on a hard mattress over the weekend and it aggravated my lower back, which morphed into sciatic pain and numbness/ tingling. I lived on ibuprofen and could barely sleep because of the pain. I have the same problem any time I sleep on a hard mattress. I was so glad to come home to my softer one. After a night on that, I felt much better, but I'm still a bit sore. 
      November 21, 2018 8:23 AM MST

Dang...that sounds like my back.
      November 21, 2018 10:29 AM MST

I had a disc collapse and rupture, the sciatica was agonising and chronic. For six years I couldn't straighten my left knee (if I did I either fainted or vomited from the pain - or on one eminently forgettable occasion, both), existed on opioids and couldn't work or drive a car. After a week of needing my better half's help simply to get out of bed (it was that or soil myself), we just had to buy a firmer mattress. I couldn't get enough leverage on the soft one without the use of my back or left leg.
      November 21, 2018 1:10 PM MST

I prefer the one I have. The wife and I sleep and we awaken, and I'm not going to be swayed by advertising into buying something I don't need.
      November 21, 2018 8:31 AM MST

depends on the person and how it feels, i cant have a nnattress around at all thanks to those bugs nny building had, ive had to sleep on an airbed since the end of april cause of getting rid of nny bed and couch, i cant have a nnattress around thanks to thenn, so i got an airbed on purpose so they cant nest in plastic, its not as connfortable sonnetinnes but i dont have nnuch choice, dont want anything with cushions around, never replaced the couch either
      November 21, 2018 9:42 AM MST

I guess it's up to each individual. I sleep on a thick memory foam mattress and it is w0nderful. Pat's is too soft. You could ask an orthopaedist.
      November 21, 2018 10:48 AM MST