Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Some folks say "back in the day' and refer to something they miss that no longer exists. What do you miss from "back in the day"? WHY?

Some folks say "back in the day' and refer to something they miss that no longer exists. What do you miss from "back in the day"? WHY?

Posted - December 1, 2018

Responses

I miss being able to buy a pair of Canadian made leather Nufi boxing gloves at a reasonable price  Nufi boxing gloves is a nickname for work boots - Canada used to have a shoe and boot industry - now it's gone and I'm forced to wear cheep work boots that are made in China. Cheers and happy weekend!
      December 1, 2018 10:25 AM MST

Nufi Boxing Gloves is a nickname for work boots? A whole lotta KICKBOXING going on Nanoose? Cheap is in bigly in America. Cheap is in where you live too on a beautiful island which is part of a in a beautiful country? Say it ain't so. That's TERRIBLE!  Thank you for your reply m'dear!  :)
      December 1, 2018 11:34 AM MST

I hear ya. I remember when LL Bean sold only goods made in the US or Canada. My Mom worked there a sent me a pair of moose hide slipper- mocs made up there. I wore a pair out in five years so she sent me another. Now everything they sell is offshore.
      December 1, 2018 1:29 PM MST

I miss the civility of yesteryear and the face-to-face dialog between people as opposed to on line.  Most of us would never think of saying certain things to someone's face that they will say from behind a computer.  I miss kids being raised to have respect and consideration for others.  
      December 1, 2018 10:59 AM MST

I adore the internet L. I have met so many fine people in so many fine countries whom I never would have met otherwise.  Since 2005 when I joined Answerbag I've made pals in South Africa to Denmark to Austria to Australia to Canada to Mexico to Japan to New Zealand to England to Scotland and beyond. If I've missed anyone's country massive apologies. Also I can GOOGLE anything and get an answer at any hour of the day or night. Beats schlepping to the library and looking stuff up. However the downside is the lies that are promulgated. The trolls that are surrounding us. The hacking into our personal lives. The fake accounts that caused the worst man in history to be elected prez. It is a two-edged sword. The internet is how terrorists plot  and plan. The internet is where the wackadoodle conspiracy theorists ply their lies. I don't know  which outweighs the other. The BEAUTIFUL or the HIDEOUS? SIGH. Does everything have an upside/downside? Gonna ask. Thank you for your reply! :)
      December 1, 2018 11:41 AM MST

There is no doubt that the Internet has improved our lives in many ways, but it has also done damage to the fabric of our society for all the reasons you've stated.
      December 1, 2018 2:23 PM MST

Two-edged sword. Not a fan. Dam*! :(
      December 1, 2018 2:27 PM MST

Nickle candy bars.
    Gasoline for 25 cents a gallon.
    Smokes for 25 cents a pack.
    Silver coins and buffalo nickles still in circulation.
    25 cent draft beer at the Navy clubs.
    Respect for older folks.
    I could go on, but I think you get the point.
      December 1, 2018 1:37 PM MST

I take issue with only one on your list and you can guess which one. My favorite is respect for older folks. But I think civility in general is dead. The john of don made that his first priority and by god the hapless spineless Congress got on board with that immediately. And here we are. Thank you for your reply Ele. Ever not lock your doors or take walks at night or use the honor system when you saw a roadside stand with produce and a cigar box and bags and a sign letting you know much they were  EACH? We stopped. We'd select, bag and put our money in the cigar box. No one thought anything about it. It was standard operating procedure. Back in the day. Hey hey hey.                         
      December 1, 2018 1:46 PM MST

We still have an honour system roadside farm. I've been there a few times.
      December 1, 2018 1:55 PM MST

ARE YOU SERIOUS? ((hugs)) The hugs are for ALL the folks who drop by, pick, pay and leave as well as the owner who trusts them to do just that! Wow! I wouldda a bet a billion bucks they no longer existed anywhere! So your little slice of heaven town includes an honor system roadside stand? Who wouldda thunk it? Thank you for sharing that Ele. It perked me up. For how long I don't know but I appreciate being perked up however short a  time it is! What kind of produce do they sell? Oranges or apples or cukes or? Inquiring minds get so excited they want some details to flesh it out! :) This post was edited by RosieG at December 1, 2018 2:01 PM MST
      December 1, 2018 2:00 PM MST

I miss the time before the cliché was invented.....
      December 3, 2018 4:31 PM MST