Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Communication » What's the trick to getting someone to respond/ agree to help you when you send out professional requests?

What's the trick to getting someone to respond/ agree to help you when you send out professional requests?

I often send out requests to people asking them to provide a quote or let me interview them for an article. Oftentimes, I don't know the person at all; I've just read something they've written or learned about a project they've worked on and would like to either include a direct quote or talk to them. I'm kind of all over the map on whether I get any kind of response at all, let alone whether the other party agrees. I haven't found any kind of technique that increases buy-in. 

With my latest one, I needed to talk to doctors, so I wrote to several whom I know personally. Only one bothered to write back and decline. The rest didn't even do that much. It doesn't bother me so much when I don't know the person, but these were people I knew in real life that I've worked with before, so I found the lack of response rather bothersome. Is that normal for this kind of letter, even if you know the person you're talking to? I'm basically offering them free PR, so it's hard for me to understand why they wouldn't reply at all.

Posted - December 1, 2018

Responses

No trick...ask me.
      December 1, 2018 7:35 PM MST

Promise of payment. 
      December 1, 2018 8:24 PM MST

Doctors and most Healthcare Professionals are the hardest and most expensive folks to recruit for Focus Groups and other studies.  They are constrained by time, contract and and confidentiality concerns.

A number of years back it took around $1,000 per to get these guys to participate in a study for one hour.  The dollar figure has since gone up.  I no longer work for that Research House or in that Industry segment

Good luck.
      December 2, 2018 6:20 AM MST

Interesting. I had no idea. 

My last one was doctors- dentists actually- most of whom I've worked for. That's why I found it so peculiar, but I suppose it makes sense. With a couple of them, I do remember it was difficult to even get them to talk to me about their content, and they were the ones paying for it. 

You made a point I didn't consider. I also work for a broker who does a lot of fix-and-flip loans and one of the projects he had me doing was interviewing people who had closed on loans with them and completed successful projects. I got more buy-ins with those messages, but I don't know how much of it was the industry and how many saw their piece as being a good networking op. Even with that though, I think maybe only 25% of those I contacted participated. I sometimes reach out to marketers about campaigns they've worked on. So far, not a one has spoken to me. I do pretty well when I request help from analysts and consultants though. I think that group is much higher; probably close on 75%. 

I was looking at my stats overall and feeling bothered by them. Maybe it really does have more to do with the industry than anything else.
      December 2, 2018 11:01 AM MST

Really do not know what you do.  Now your response rates do seem quite reasonable.

I have been involved in Market Research in most of my Civilian Life.  Recruitment has gotten more difficult over the years and the costs have risen to an expensive degree.  That is the costs have gone up in excess of the rate of inflation.  We also tend to not trust a lot of results especially in some demographic profiles and some regions in the US. 

My how times have changed
      December 2, 2018 1:58 PM MST

i would just ask thenn, thats all you can do
      December 2, 2018 9:22 AM MST

honestly and being yourself...i find that when it comes to people helping you it depends on them. if they have a helping heart then things can happen. however people will most definitely help or agree with someone if they see a benefit to them. 
      December 2, 2018 4:23 PM MST

If you love your dog and your first born you had better reply to my request for interview.
      December 2, 2018 7:12 PM MST

That is funny but might also have some merit. :) :)  You'll see what I mean if you read my post. ;)
      December 3, 2018 7:43 PM MST

When I read your targeted market, it is almost like you set yourself up for failure.

Before I go any further, I would like to say many of my next words are generalizations and are not meant to hurt or say EVERYONE is like this.  They stem from personal observations and experiences.  There is no factual basis or percentage to compare them to. They are simply to try and help in possibly a different direction.

People in high-paying careers are extremely cautious to talk.  It doesn't matter if you are in the rock and roll business or a dentist.  Privacy and law suits are at odds with one another and many professionals are very protective over their skills and words because of it.
    Knowing this, you might want to take the time to approach each one on a personal level. The more time you show you put into their responding, the more apt they are to do so.
    For example.  Hand write what you are asking.  Include how you know them.  Make it a friendly invitation and one they want to respond to or even embarrassed not to answer.  
    If they are in close proximity, schedule an apt. and look at their face.  It is extremely hard to turn down someone you know when you are face to face.  If they still won't talk, at least get your teeth cleaned by the assistant!  It's a win/win. :) :)
    Humor is another way to loosen the "NOs" and change them to "Yeses!"
    Say something funny and show them you aren't out to strangle them by their thoughts but rather, their thought DOES matter .  YOU ARE the answer to getting their idea out.
     If they want to keep it private, reassure them you Are Trustworthy.  And MEAN IT.  Make sure you are able to use their responses without their names attached.
    There are people on here who are really tricky with word usages that could protect the doctors or rock stars or whomever and still get you and your facts out.  They are much better than I but could help you in that area.  I'm pretty sure they would and be flattered you asked. ;)

What catches people's attention and sells things, even to this day, are kids, puppies, and boobs.  Well, maybe some tight shorts on men these days too.  Big Smiles.  See?!  That made you smiles and it is true.  I have kept you interested to read more.  
    It is easy things like this that win the hearts of your targeted market.  They are people, too.  Try to relate to them as not as statistic but a person who DOES want to help others... just like you and me. :) :)  Underneath it all, you have to believe they do.  It will bring that side of them out.  And this is good.  :) :)  

This post was edited by Merlin at December 10, 2018 10:14 PM MST
      December 3, 2018 8:22 PM MST

Thank you. I am actually doing most of those things, minus the humor. The dentists I was reaching out to were dentists I've written for before, so they not only already know all about me, but also know the value in what I'm doing. One of them was a guy I actually worked for as an assistant, not a writer- a guy I've known for 20 years and had a great relationship with. In that case, I was actually a little hurt he didn't respond, at least to say no. Each note I sent out was personalized. I wasn't using a stock template or anything. 

I felt like, with the lending interviews, it was more a specific type of person who would respond. The casual person who was fixing houses as a side-hustle would not respond. The person who needed to leverage a network and make connections- the big extroverts- they would respond. And, those always went really really well. They were all thrilled to see the finished pieces. I actually started including examples of those ones when I'd send out requests to people, so they could see what it was I was trying to create. It never really helped increase the number of people who'd say yes. I could almost predict who would say yes and who would ignore me based on their current job title on LinkedIn. ;)

I suppose, what I haven't done yet, is start sending out pictures of kids, puppies, and boobs with my requests. Time for some split testing. :D
      December 10, 2018 10:23 PM MST

Hi~ :)  I just had a couple of thoughts that might help you break through.  I'm going to do a little research on it and ask some true professionals I know.  

Before I do this, though, my personal thought on top of kids, boobs, and puppies (all of which attract different audiences but DO get the attention of all three) is the secretaries.  You have to get through the mail-sorter people.
    Make your envelope attractive.  Not necessarily loud but colorful.  Even colorblind people can see shades.  Give your envelope something that makes it stand out and likable. 
    I'm looking further into this.  :) :) 
      December 11, 2018 2:41 PM MST