Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » Is there something in the fine arts world you value as a masterpiece but you also realize others cannot?

Is there something in the fine arts world you value as a masterpiece but you also realize others cannot?

As much as I admire Michael Haneke's 1997 original "Funny Games" film, I realize its powerfully disturbing quality would turn some others away.

I recommend the film very highly but I also know the movie is probably not for everyone.

Image result for 1997 haneke funny games

Posted - December 3, 2018

Responses

There are many things that I value above anything else that others cannot understand.

And anything in the fine arts world is not even in the picture.  
      December 3, 2018 10:07 AM MST

Good point.
    :)
      December 3, 2018 10:09 AM MST

I just saw Lady GaGas movie.  

So disappointed.  God awful.  The directing was so flawed it was draggy and miserable. Gaga gave an okay performance for a first timer but Bjork blew her out of the water in Dancer in the Dark. 

She has so much botox shot in her face that she looks like she has a mask on.  

Then her acting is like she is reading and not really into her lines.  

Not good. I was surprised.  I know she is an amazing talent, but even her vocals were not that great.

Now Bradley Cooper did an excellent job of acting.  But he needs to get a director and not even think he can make an interesting movie.  

This was done so many times, it is over done.  And I don't mean the plot of A Star Is Born.  I mean the story they told about a sick sad alkie that feels so sorry for himself and everyone at the end has to feel bad when he offs himself.  

Like who didn't see that coming?  And the last scene was like OH HE DIED, let's wrap this one up now.  

So not good.  And everyone on tv is raving about this turkey.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 5, 2018 8:39 PM MST
      December 3, 2018 10:14 AM MST

You are right -- EVERYONE seems to be raving about this movie and the performances. I think I'm more apt to agree with your 'take' on the movie. (I've even heard 'Oscar' and 'Lady GaGa' talk.)

I've never seen any of the "A Star Is Born" movies. I have no desire for some reason. And to have these two star in it does not entice me in the least to go see this one.

I do know I do not like at all the song from this movie that keeps getting played on the radio.

Bjork. Yes. INDEED.

But, hey -- I just shared here, yet, again, that I so admire and recommend this terribly disturbing movie "Funny Games." 

Everyone raves about the Star Is Born movie. So, perhaps, when it comes to movies, maybe I'm the one all messed up.

Hey, thanks for answering, SHARONNA - OUR FOOD IS POISONED!

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at December 5, 2018 8:39 PM MST
      December 3, 2018 7:40 PM MST

I'm surprised you agree Welby only because you seem to get joy in a LOT of different movies.
    But I went to see this turkey because of all the raves.  I should have remembered that they do this in the media when they know they have a big star and they want to capitalize on that. If she gets an Oscar for that, I think she will piss off any actor that was up for a nomination in that category.

She is NO Meryl Streep
      December 3, 2018 11:24 PM MST

You're right, I do like a lot of different kinds of movies. I'm usually open to trying any movie. I don't really know sometimes why I'll try watching one movie over another. I very highly doubt I will watch this new "A Star Is Born," though.

I remember going to see the movie "Bug" simply because William Friedkin directed it. I had absolutely no idea what the movie was about. 
    I was literally THE only person in the theater. I don't know what kind of reviews it got (I seem to remember the movie was pretty much ignored by the public) but it's one of my favorites. It went places that were beyond anything I could have imagined. Ashley Judd was fantastic -- so was the other main guy but I forget his name.
    Great movie.
    How'd I get on "Bug"?

December 4, 2018 8:22 AM MST

i dont do art
      December 3, 2018 10:18 AM MST

Ha!
    Pearl, that made me laugh out loud, thanks!
      December 3, 2018 7:40 PM MST