Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » In your opinion, what movie franchise is the best?

In your opinion, what movie franchise is the best?

Best for whatever reason. So your parameters can be, for some examples, that your pick has more good entries than any other franchise, or the highest percentage of good ones, or the series as a whole averages out to be better than anything else, or maybe all together your choice has the most compelling concept, or it changed movies more than any other franchise.

Or maybe you just simply enjoy them the most!

My pick is the Back to the Future trilogy. I love all three films pretty much equally, they set out to tell one over arching story and achieved that, and it isn't pulled down by 5 other terrible sequels. It ended with dignity and to me, it is the only perfect franchise.

Posted - December 7, 2018

Responses

You are probably right about "Back To the Future." But I've only seen the first one.

If the franchise had ended with "Alien3," I would have nominated "Alien," "Aliens," and "Alien3." I like how all three films have their own style but all three stay faithful to the spirit of the story.
    And that final ending scene to "Alien3" -- breathtaking for me!

(I did rather enjoy "Prometheus," though, too. And I refuse to even consider watching those Alien vs. Predator things.)

:)

December 7, 2018 10:21 PM MST

Star Wars used to be, until the House of Mouse screwed it royally.
      December 8, 2018 3:08 AM MST

I love this answer.
      December 8, 2018 8:08 PM MST

not sure
      December 8, 2018 1:41 PM MST

The spaghetti westerns with Clint Eastwood. Classic bad movies. That's what made them so good.
      December 8, 2018 1:47 PM MST

• I agree with Spaghetti Westerns.  Sergio Leone (the inventor of the SW) directed some of the best, funnest/most fun movies I have watched. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 9, 2018 3:09 PM MST
      December 8, 2018 1:50 PM MST

How sweet, agent 99. I fell in love with her as did 10 million teenage boys.
      December 8, 2018 9:20 PM MST

• I was a just a little kid, but I remember loving her because she was a chick with a gun. I wanted to be her when I grew up.   Kind of funny.
      December 8, 2018 9:22 PM MST

December 9, 2018 12:33 PM MST

I'm not a huge fan of the hobbit movies, but if you're just talkin' original trilogy, then yeah it's pretty perfect
      December 9, 2018 1:09 PM MST

Yes only the name you read there..
      December 10, 2018 1:50 AM MST

You're kidding, right? My guess is that you never read the book. Neither did Peter Jackson, he certainly didn't tell Tolkien's story. No Bombadil (which also prevented the Scouring at the end, I'm told PJ left that out too). Arwen gets three paragraphs in the entire book, in the movie she was a major character - a sop to PC. The Party was left out, that sets the scene for the whole thing.

The Fellowship of the Ring was so bitterly disappointing that I vowed never to watch the other two, or to endure another Jackson abortion disguised as a movie.
      December 9, 2018 2:21 PM MST

Slartibartfast! Yes!! I remember something from reading those books, after reading your comment here -- -- I remember seeing the movie and thinking, "Why is this Arwen such a MAJOR character in this movie? She's hardly anything in the book!" 

:)

December 9, 2018 3:12 PM MST

I was only talking about Movie, dear!
      December 10, 2018 1:55 AM MST

None of them.

I do like Game of Thrones, but I don't think it can be classified as a FRANCHISE.  But it is a singular story that has gone on for ages.   It's a series.  All the FRANCHISES I CAN THINK OF REALLY ARE GARBAGE TO ME.

December 10, 2018 2:25 AM MST