Active Now

Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » We spoke about it before. The situation is getting so much more dire. Where have all the bugs, insects, flies, ants gone? Anyone know?

We spoke about it before. The situation is getting so much more dire. Where have all the bugs, insects, flies, ants gone? Anyone know?

Whatever the he** is killing THEM is probably killing us too!  Anyone have a clue? I cannot remember how long it has been since I saw an ant. Including outside in the yard. Maybe last year or two or before? This is very scary.

Posted - January 4, 2019

Responses

Well, if people kept pouring molten metal down my home, just for fun and "art" ... I'd be finding a way to "disappear", as well.

Or maybe it's not the dolphins who leave right before the Earth is bulldozed for an interstellar causeway ... it's the insects.

Seriously, though.  I can't say I've personally noticed the lack of bees.  I still see them in the same quantities I noticed before, during the summer.  But I don't doubt it's more obvious to those who keep bee hives.

What would get me REALLY worried, is if cockroaches began disappearing.
    I mean, you know things are REALLY bad, if we are accidentally killing off something that can allegedly survive a nuclear apocalypse.
      January 4, 2019 1:56 PM MST

Start worrying bigly then m'dear! We used to see a cockroach here or there in the back yard or the garage.  A few times they would even invade our home. I kid you not. Well it's been at least a couple of years since we spotted any including outside. Same with the ants. Many years ago we had invasion and called the exterminator who took care of it .Subsequently I'd see streams of them outside always. Once again I haven't seen an ant even for a couple of years. The only critters we've seen on rare occasion are crickets. A fly once in awhile. I was eaten alive for years by mosquitoes during the summer. Last year I got one small bite and that was that! Of course I'm grateful because being the piece de resistance for mosquitoes is not my favorite thing. But I did nothing differently. They just didn't show up. Butterflies? I haven't seen one for years. Birds? Used to see hummingbirds and other birds here and there and everywhere. Now maybe you see one once in awhile. It's so bizarre and weird. If those things are disappearing whatever feeds on them will be disappearing too. All around us species are simply dwindling and I don't know if that means they will all be extinct or what. It's creepy. So worry. I'd like to see  cockroach again in the backyard. Can you imagine anyone saying that and meaning it? Well I said it and I  mean it. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      January 5, 2019 2:43 AM MST

Heck that would be really worrying if there were no ants... Insects were always said to be the most prolific and most likely to survive if we humans were wiped out.. maybe they wont get that chance..  

I still have ants.. I love ants :) But yes, we have many species in decline and no one seems to be facing up to why
      January 4, 2019 3:24 PM MST

Hi there Addb! Well as I told Walt I haven't seen an ant in or OUTSIDE the house in a couple of years! Truly weird. They are either dying or have left Hemet, California for some unknown reason. We see a crickets rarely. A fly here or there. Birds are very rare now. Something very strange is going on and I can't figger out what the heck it is. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      January 5, 2019 2:45 AM MST

We got plenty. 
    Does your apartment have a maintenance/garden perhaps he is keeping them down?
      January 4, 2019 5:54 PM MST

No sweetie.  We rent a house. Years ago we were invaded by ants and called an exterminator and he took care of it. Afterwards I'd still see streams of ants in the yard. Haven't seen that for a couple of years! Haven't seen any anywhere for a couple of years. We'd also see a cockroach in the yard or the garage on occasion. Haven't seen any at all for a couple of years. We've done nothing differently. I used to get eaten alive by mosquitoes. I'd be miserable. Last year I got one small bite and that was that!  I can't figger it out m2c but whatever feeds on the things that are disappearing will be disappearing too. I know there is an explanation but what is it? I told Walt I'd like to see a roach in the yard again. Can you imagine my saying that? But I would and I don't know if we ever will again. What happened to them? What happened to the ants? The mosquitoes? It's so weird. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to thee!  :)
      January 5, 2019 2:50 AM MST

Sorry, I thought you had rented an apt. Maybe your neighbors are treating their yard? 
      January 5, 2019 9:08 PM MST

I don't know. We have neighbors behind us and on either side of us. It's possible and I hadn't thought about that. Maybe that's it! I mean I guess I wouldn't have even noticed it if there were fewer of them. But NONE AT ALL? You notice that! Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday to thee m2c.
      January 6, 2019 6:21 AM MST

Are there a few farms around Hemet? The problem could be pesticides, and it's indeed dire. Some food crops largely depend upon insects for pollination, Monsanto is wiping them out.
      January 6, 2019 6:27 AM MST

Yes there are farms and orchards in Hemet too R. I guess our situation is not reflected in other parts of the country. Well except for bees. I don't know if that ever got figured out but I think we need everything to keep things in balance. Even pests. I usually don't notice a lot of things around me. I stay inside my head a lot but this I noticed bigly. I wonder if I'll ever find out the reason? I mean things don't just happen out of the blue. Action and reaction. What is the action causing that reaction? If I find out I'll let you know. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      January 7, 2019 2:08 AM MST