designer
Slartibartfast
lavender
Zack
ADOLPH TRUMP
Lexie
elon musk
OldManLadyLuck
Ward E
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is KNOWINGLY broadcasting lies legal? Isn't there some kind of integrity/TRUTH that's required to obtain an FCC license?

Is KNOWINGLY broadcasting lies legal? Isn't there some kind of integrity/TRUTH that's required to obtain an FCC license?

What are you ALLOWED to say and what are you NOT ALLOWED to say over the air through the tv screens? I don't think ANYTHING GOES goes but I am not sure. Are you?

Posted - January 8

• 1589
    Nope.
    First Amendment.

No different for radio/TV, than it is for newspapers.
    You can cover just about anything under "opinion" or "editorial" ... as long as it isn't slander/libel.

The closest you get is "truth in advertising" laws - which specifically exempt political ads.  (Gee, I wonder why?  Who wrote those laws?)
    1

• 8159
    English police are allowed to lie about many things.....they can lie to get confessions ...they can lie when they wish to stop you in your car when you've done nothing wrong...your rear lights are flickering ...you were swaying all over the road....can I see your licence ..:( 
    0