Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Legal » Why are police comfortable with people crossing their arms during encounters?

Why are police comfortable with people crossing their arms during encounters?

Crossing arms seems like a mean and uninviting position to me. And yet, I have never seen a situation where a cop told someone not to cross their arms, or where a person got tasered or had other force used against them for crossed arms. So how can cops tolerate people crossing their arm, given how tense, defensiv, and uncooperative a position it is?

Posted - January 9, 2019

Responses

Excuse me?

Since when are COPS telling me where to put my arms.  I think the COPS better watch where they put THEIR arms.  Since they are armed with GUNS.

What are you some kind of Nazi?  BUILD THAT WALL!!!  BUILD THAT WALL!!!!
      January 9, 2019 4:01 PM MST

Guessing only.
    Crossed arms pose no threat.
      January 9, 2019 4:23 PM MST

Crossed arms is a lousy attack posture.
      January 9, 2019 5:50 PM MST

• I don't know, but I cannot stand when people stand around with the arms crossed.  Sure, many people have walls, but it's ugly to me. Unless it's a toddler.
      January 9, 2019 5:53 PM MST

I can.  It expresses an emotion.  It means we are not in agreement.  I don't know about you, but there is plenty going on that I am not in agreement with.

It states, I do not agree and I am not going to agree.  It is far better than pulling out a gun and pointing it.
      January 10, 2019 9:02 AM MST

• I use my words when I am not in agreement with something.  Toddlers cross their arms and pout. 
      January 10, 2019 10:43 AM MST

• I truly never noticed but to me it seems crossing your arms is a self protective stance.  And may depend on what type of situation they are involved in.
      January 9, 2019 6:27 PM MST

January 9, 2019 9:13 PM MST