Active Now

Gino LOLobrigida
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Is there a limit to the number of lawyers one can hire to defend oneself?

Is there a limit to the number of lawyers one can hire to defend oneself?

Posted - January 10, 2019

Responses

No, but if you're innocent, why would you need so many lawyers?
      January 10, 2019 9:44 AM MST

Oh don't  you know?  Because the EVIL Dems are so crafty and criminal that he needs that many to defend himself.  He is innocent and the Dems are costing us all this money.  Not him.  He is only trying to do a great job and make America the greatest land ever and he will tell you daily how well he is succeeding.

Cachingggg$$$$$

January 10, 2019 9:46 AM MST

From what I understand, there are 17 separate investigations into Trump and his family businesses, so that would be one attorney for each investigation.  My question is who's paying for them?
      January 10, 2019 9:52 AM MST

I have no idea, because I didn't look this up but I am SURE there are more than one attorney for each charge.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were dozens.   We all know that each lawyer has a staff of lawyers to aid him.  WE ARE PAYING.  WHO ELSE?

Job growth seems to be strong in one of Washington's specialized professions: defense attorneys for the White House. Investigations by Justice Department special counsel Robert Mueller and several congressional committees are driving the demand.

One question is this: Who is paying for all those lawyers?

Those who have recently lawyered up include President Trump, his son Donald Trump Jr., son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and Vice President Pence.

Trump spoke up for his son in Paris last week. "I have a son who's a great young man," the president said. "He's a fine person. He took a meeting with a lawyer from Russia. It lasted a very short period. And nothing came of the meeting."

Given Trump's wealth, it might seem logical that he would cover his son's legal bills. Trump often bragged about his money during the campaign.

"I don't need anybody's money; it's nice," he said as he announced his candidacy in June 2015. "I don't need anybody's money. I'm using my own money. I'm not using the lobbyists'. I'm not using donors'. I don't care. I'm really rich."

But last month, it was Trump's 2020 re-election campaign committee that paid $50,000 to the firm of his son's New York lawyer, Alan Futerfas. So far this year, the campaign has raised about 75 percent of its contributions from small donors — those who gave $200 or less.

"It's legal for the campaign to pay any legal expenses arising out of the campaign," said Larry Noble, general counsel of the Campaign Legal Center, a watchdog group. "What's interesting here is that the payment was made prior to any public disclosure of the emails from Donald Trump Jr." — the emails that earlier this month revealed the previously secret meeting

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 10, 2019 9:59 AM MST
      January 10, 2019 9:54 AM MST

If the payments are coming out of his campaign financing, that's fine with me because that's not tax money - they are private funds. 
      January 10, 2019 10:00 AM MST

But you know what?  He's LYING.  

How do I know?  Because so far?  He has lied about EVERYTHING else.    

He is too cheap to pay for anything.  It is against his standards for ripping off everyone and everything.  

They just shut down a charity in New York that he headed because he used the money that was supposed to go to the charity and spent it on his election.  That was totally illegal.  So much so that he is not allowed to open any other charities in New York.  THIS IS OUR PRESIDENT.  

Why is he not in jail?  WHY? 
      January 10, 2019 10:10 AM MST

Well, he does actually get a salary for being president.  I suppose he could take it out of that if he needed to.
      January 10, 2019 11:07 AM MST

He doesn't accept the salary.
      January 10, 2019 11:10 AM MST

He claims he contributes it to charity, but I don't think he's eve said which one(s).
      January 10, 2019 11:11 AM MST

Just because he never said which ones doesn't mean he isn't doing it. 
      January 10, 2019 11:12 AM MST

I don't recall suggesting he isn't doing it.
      January 10, 2019 1:47 PM MST

Is there a limit to the number of lawyers one can hire to defend oneself?

In theory: all but {sides x 1} of them.
    Because theoretically, every side in a case has to have at least 1 lawyer.

In reality, even if Trump hires 100 lawyers the government has the capability to have far more.  And it has the benefit of time.  It can keep up an investigation and keep filing motions until Trump is broke.  It's all in how they play the game.  Of course Trump's lawyers won't want a quick resolution either - that would limit the amount of money they get paid.

This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at January 10, 2019 12:00 PM MST
      January 10, 2019 12:00 PM MST