Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » How would you feel about being told you needed to lock your phone in a special bag prior to an event (concert, speech, presentation, etc.)?

How would you feel about being told you needed to lock your phone in a special bag prior to an event (concert, speech, presentation, etc.)?

There's apparently a special bag for cell phones that some performers and teachers are leveraging in order to prevent phone use/ unauthorized photos during events. Attendees have to place their phones in them and lock them prior to going in and can only unlock them in the lobby or outside the venue. If you attended something where you were asked to lock your phone up, how would you react?

Inspired by: https://answermug.com/forums/topic/73058/what-s-one-thing-kids-today-will-never-experience-that-you-think#siteforum_post_58127

Posted - January 10, 2019

Responses

• At special events I keep my phone in the crotch of my drawers until the lights go out.
      January 10, 2019 2:02 PM MST

Just for the sake of answering, I would leave my phone at home.
      January 10, 2019 2:29 PM MST

• If I knew that ahead of time, I would lock my phone in my car.  
      January 10, 2019 3:14 PM MST

Such measures wouldn't be necessary but for the rudeness and ignorance of the masses.  
      January 10, 2019 3:50 PM MST

Phones shouldn't be allowed in school.  For those who walk and parents want the phone for safety during the commute, the phones should be turned off and held in the office until the end of the school day.
      January 10, 2019 3:52 PM MST

We confiscated them. If they were using one during a test, they got a failing grade.
      January 11, 2019 1:55 PM MST

im specially fine in giving away my cellphone.... i know it could be hard for some people to give it away, because its a nice distraction when there is freetime.
      January 10, 2019 5:18 PM MST

It wouldn't concern me.
    I'd have it turned off for a special event anyway.
    Since mobile phones can be used to trigger bombs and other devices, it seems like a good security precaution to me.
      January 10, 2019 6:11 PM MST

I wouldn't "feel" about it one way or another.  What I would "think" about it is that it's appropriate in this day and age wherein practically very few people seem to respect the fact that others don't want to be subjected to the interruption of phones ringing or beeping or chirping or chiming, and to the so-called private/personal conversation or the profanity or the lights emitted from the device.

~
      January 10, 2019 9:04 PM MST

Very very true.  Thank you for pointing this out. 
      January 14, 2019 6:14 AM MST

It wouldn't be a problem for me although I have never turned my phone on at any of these events.  I rarely turn it on at all, but it is definitely rude to subject others to have to listen to your phone and it's particularly distracting to performers.  I can't see spending that much money for concert tickets and then spending the texting.  
      January 10, 2019 10:05 PM MST

I'm in favor of collecting them at any public place including restaurants and waiting rooms.  For a long time, we could not bring cell phones into my workplace, so I'm very accustomed to leaving my phone in my car.
      January 11, 2019 2:19 PM MST

What phone?  But really I agree with Randy D. that phone use at concerts, in classes, or other public events is rude and disrespectful of the enjoyment of others. 
      January 14, 2019 6:14 AM MST