Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is LABOR/CONSERVATIVE in Britain the same as trumpican/democratic in the US of A? One side has all good guys. The other doesn't have any?

Is LABOR/CONSERVATIVE in Britain the same as trumpican/democratic in the US of A? One side has all good guys. The other doesn't have any?

Posted - January 17, 2019

Responses

I guess it depends what you mean by "good".

The set-up is similar in some ways - both our countries have a highly adversarial system dominated by two parties. But the American system seems to accommodate a greater diversity of opinion within each party, whereas in the British system strict obedience to the party line is the norm. Or at least it was until the recent Brexit turmoil, which has seen the Conservative Party splitting into at least three factions.

My opinion of the two main parties has been deteriorating year on year, but if right now if I had a gun to my head and a ballot paper in front of me I would choose Labour as the better of two undesirables.

As for Trumpicans, I don't think there are many of them in the Parliamentary Conservative Party, in fact if such people exist they would be more likely to support the UK Independence Party.

January 17, 2019 12:18 PM MST

Thank you for a very helpful reply Rev. And that Brexit thing seems to have a life of it's own. I see that Theresa May fought and won against the "no confidence" vote so she still is there. She is Conservative and the opposition is Labor? That is all we read about in the news vis a vis what's going on in England. I think it must be a VERY COMPLEX endeavor to extricate the country from the EU. It's been over two years and counting. Are you for exiting or do you prefer things the way they were? Happy Friday to you! :)
      January 18, 2019 2:39 AM MST

I voted Leave and I do not regret my choice. I accept that the full separation from the European Union that I would prefer, is now unlikely to happen, and that we will end up in a sort of semi-detached arrangement with the EU. I still prefer this outcome over staying in on the present terms, and have even written to my local MP to ask her to push for a bi-partisan solution. I fear that the likely alternative will be a Conservative leadership contest with Boris Johnson becoming Prime Minister, followed by a new General Election, which the Conservatives would win.
    Anyway, happy Friday afternoon!
      January 18, 2019 12:31 PM MST

Thank you for your thoughtful and information-filled reply Rev. Of course we get it second-hand via news reports . It's always better to get information from those who are "living" it. Is anything ever simple? I wonder if the folks involved in making it happen, getting it done, ever thought it would take so long and be so fractious? Are things always harder to do than you think? Ever get surprised that they are so much easier? I know. "It's complicated". Happy Saturday to you! :)
      January 19, 2019 2:16 AM MST

A hard Brexit would be disastrous for the UK (why are you all stocking up on pharmaceuticals?) and now appears to be inevitable. Scotland will bolt, Northern Ireland may well join the Republic and even Wales is looking askance - only England voted Leave and it's also apparent that many Remainers didn't bother to vote at all. Even if and when Britain departs the EU, a new referendum will be demanded in a decade or so by which time most of the Brexiteers will be dead or nearly so - that demographic split is hugely weighted, the younger population didn't want it at all but also didn't flex their electoral muscle and vote, either.
      January 19, 2019 8:49 PM MST

Wales was about 50-50; the border districts and the Valleys voted Leave but only by a narrow margin, with the West and the South coast cities being pro-Remain. 
    However, I fear you may be right in saying that the referendum and deal won't lay the issue to rest once and for all. March 29th may just be the end of the beginning.
      January 20, 2019 12:19 PM MST

Boris Johnson is a posh Trump.
      January 19, 2019 2:32 AM MST

:):):)
      January 19, 2019 4:49 AM MST

Not quite.

The Reverend Muhammadovsky describes the UK political climate accurately.

The Conservatives of Britain are not quite so extreme in their capitalism (as the USA) and they readily accept some liberal ideas.

England has the occasional demagogue like Boris Johnson, independents who sometimes join parties but don't survive in them,
    and who have recently been somewhat more popular than in days of yore.

Labour in Britain is slightly more left than the Democrats.

The total effect is evident in the world's best free public access to medicine, and a far better level of free public education than is available in the States. Other social safety nets that are better funded include pensions for the unemployed, disabled and aged, and legal assistance for the poor.

Britain has also been far more cosmopolitan, more welcoming to economic and political asylum seekers,
    although this has been radically changing in the last ten years and is one of the main reasons for the high Brexit vote.

This post was edited by inky at January 18, 2019 2:40 AM MST
      January 17, 2019 9:45 PM MST

Thank you for a very informative and helpful reply NdP. I appreciate it. Theresa May beat the "no confidence" vote and won so she is still there. Are you glad or sad? Happy Friday to you. This post was edited by RosieG at January 18, 2019 6:54 PM MST
      January 18, 2019 2:41 AM MST

Gosh, I had to think out that! I wasn't sure how I felt about it - seeing it as a decision for the Brits who live there.

Even though both my parents were Australians, I was born in England. I am both a British and an Australian citizen. I studied in London for four years as an undergrad, and still keep in touch with friends and an eye on the UK news.

Australia quietly looks forward to the Brexit - because we lost a massive amount of trade when Britain joined Europe and we stand to regain it.

I rather like the EU. At a selfish level, it means I can travel anywhere in Europe without the hassles of visas.

But trying to see it objectively, I think the UK benefitted hugely from membership through trade advantages and seasonal floods of cheap immigrant farm workers.
    The European countries acting as one block created a buffer against the economic hegemonies and penetrations of the USA, China and Japan.

The apparent disadvantage for some Brits has been the uncontrollable tide of refugees from Muslim countries;
    if one European country opened its doors, that automatically opened the way to all the others.

Most of the Muslims have been secular or moderate, actively preferring the Western way of life.
    Within a generation or two, most become naturalised and at ease within their new culture; they become hard-working, good and responsible citizens.
    But some of their children grow up experiencing prejudice, bullying and social isolation through the school years; and a small proportion of those have joined gangs who rape non-Muslim women, or have joined IS and become terrorists.
    The proportion is not significantly different to any other disadvantaged group - but they do stand out in the media - and thus many Europeans are feeling invaded and under threat.
    This is the main reason why the UK voted for Brexit.

This is the area where I feel ambivalent.
    I think it's vital to offer asylum to persecuted peoples and to really welcome them.

But I think it is problematic that it is so difficult to control racist reactions.
    We need research-based innovative social programs to assist in preventing the problems both among the immigrants and with the home crowd.

Ever since the Brits began colonising other countries, it has had foreigners moving permanently onto its own soil. It has become one of the most cosmopolitan, tolerant and culturally rich environments in the world. 
    Yet it's an ironic thing when the shrinking British Empire suddenly realises it doesn't much like being invaded -- as though they have forgotten the Vikings and Romans.

On balance, I think I'd prefer Britain to remain in the EU. It would cost them far less to resolve the problems than to EXIT.
      January 18, 2019 7:30 PM MST

This is such a helpful and informative answer NdP for which I thank you! All we know is what we read via our media. I think they report what they observe but you rarely get any in-depth analyses or the "why". Without knowing "why" it's impossible to fully understand either position. But I see the problem. There are benefits and disadvantages to either choice and I guess it all depends on what you can tolerate more easily. As usual "it's complicated". I think as a general principle I like belonging. I'm not a hermit though I do enjoy solitude enormously. But still I like to have family and friends and neighbors and acquaintances and country and encounters with strangers. To belong or not to belong?Is THAT the question? I'm going to ask it! Happy Saturday! :)
      January 19, 2019 2:37 AM MST

Most people have a need to belong. We evolved as a social species so the instinct is strong. I think the exceptions are people who have grown up terribly abused in their family and/or community.
    Desire for solitude, I believe, is a slightly different variable to the sense of belonging. It's more about where we sit on the introvert-extrovert scale. The more one loves solitude and needs it to refresh, re-energise and find inspiration, the closer one is to the introvert end of the spectrum, though introverts still love deep and meaningful conversations, and closeness with maybe two, three or four good friends. That description fits me to a tee. Extroverts feel depleted if they spend too much time alone and energised by time with people, the more the merrier. At the extreme end, like my husband, they have hundreds of "friends" and are great networkers, introducing everybody to each other. Their conversations tend to be fairly superficial, though they don't mind being gently drawn into something a little deeper. What they call a friend is anybody towards whom they feel goodwill and liking, even quite distant acquaintances.
    So maybe, Rosie, maybe you are a little more towards the introvert end of the spectrum. What do you think?
      January 19, 2019 4:13 PM MST

There have been some surprisingly good Republicans - moderates. Lincoln. Eisenhower. Bush Sr (not a good President but a very good Veep). McCain.

As for our own political system, the conservatives (ironically called the "Liberal party" in coalition witn the National party) are in government but will almost certainly be routed in the next general election, by the Labor opposition. There have been some good members of coalition, too. Dr Brendan Nelson, who briefly led the party in opposition when former PM John Howard resigned following defeat in 2007, would have been a fine Prime Minister had he remained leader until the Libs won government again, but he was too decent to corrupt and too intelligent to manipulate, so they shafted him.

January 19, 2019 7:38 PM MST