Active Now

Danilo_G
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Finance » i need you to help me spend my tax return ! quick ! what's the first thing you buy

i need you to help me spend my tax return ! quick ! what's the first thing you buy

Posted - January 23, 2019

Responses

• Steve Madden or Madden Girl  boots.
      January 23, 2019 9:31 AM MST

• No suggestion until I'm guaranteed half of it. :P

January 23, 2019 9:39 AM MST

When was the last time you looked at a piece of news?  There is not an income tax to be seen in these here Democratic United Snakes of Amerika.

The Government is not going to send you any money because there is no one working in the government to send you money.

And there is no pay for them not sending you money either.

So, why are they forced to work if no one gets the money?  according TO THIS we may or may not get anything back if this shutdown is still alive.

Here are the top three myths we need to discuss:

1. The IRS is closed.

Not completely true.

The Internal Revenue Service was one of the federal agencies that didn't have a funded budget to operate for the 2019 fiscal year. In fact, the funding the IRS had expired on December 21, 2018.

However, the IRS has since remained open under a contingency plan, which includes operating with only 12 percent of its staff. It also includes the ability to accept all electronically-filed tax returns, once that functionality is updated for the new filing year, and some tax returns filed via mail.

2. Even if the government were open, the IRS wouldn't be accepting e-filing anyway.

Both true and false.

The IRS generally begins accepting electronically-filed tax returns in late January, after closing this functionality for a short period of time. This generally takes place between late November and early January--so right now, in other words. It's supposed to help the IRS clear enough time to update their systems and update their forms each year.

On January 7, the IRS announced that it will begin accepting 2018 tax returns on Monday, January 28, 2019.

3. If the government remains shutdown, you won't receive a refund from the IRS.

False.

On the heels of the government shutdown announcement, the IRS has stated that in addition to also accepting 2018 tax returns on January 28, it will issue refunds--despite prior statements to the contrary. They also plan on bringing back a large portion of their furloughed workers in order to operate as normally as possible.

While this will allow money to be used to provide tax refunds, the furloughed workers will not be paid until the shutdown comes to an official end. It's unclear how this will impact operations. A temporarily understaffed and unpaid IRS will still be understaffed and unpaid could mean delays or processing glitches aren't out of the question.

What's next for business owners this tax season?

As of right now, it's expected for tax season to begin as normal with the ability to e-file beginning on January 28th--assuming the IRS is able to finish all system updates and the contingency ultimately provides for it.

The details of the contingency plan have not yet been announced. I've seen plenty of experts urging some degree of caution, since past shutdowns have resulted in delayed tax refunds. The Trump Administration's decision to open the IRS for refunds could also violate the Antideficiency Act, a 1982 piece of legislation that keeps federal employees from spending more than what's been approved by Congress.

Tax software vendors must also finalize all system updates to their products, which could take additional time depending on how efficiently the IRS operates in the coming weeks. The IRS generally finalizes its technical specifications between late November and early January. If there are minor changes to those specifications for the new tax year, vendors may need time to code the updates, test them, then migrate them to their production code. Given that this is all significantly behind plan, it could result in delays from the software vendors themselves as well.

A word to the wise: If you're a business owner, start preparing now. Gather your tax documents and begin the filing process with your tax advisors as you would in any other year. This is more important than ever with the sweeping changes to the tax rules this year due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) passed in December of 2017, many of which will go into effect with your return for tax year 2018.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 23, 2019 12:13 PM MST
      January 23, 2019 9:49 AM MST

• Get over yourself.  You're making NO difference.
      January 23, 2019 4:31 PM MST

• Invest it all in smooshed fermented grapes. 
      January 23, 2019 10:01 AM MST

Anti-carcinogenic too
      January 23, 2019 10:48 AM MST

• My vineyard is my only current business, specializing in full-bodied reds.  Hell, if that's not good enough, I can whip you up some 1-week mustang wine. :P This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 23, 2019 7:20 PM MST
      January 23, 2019 4:36 PM MST

• Red wine is my favouritest! I guess you’re my new best friend now ;p 
      January 23, 2019 5:39 PM MST

• *whips out hidden whipping stick*
      January 23, 2019 5:52 PM MST

•   January 23, 2019 5:56 PM MST

A hooker.
      January 23, 2019 12:14 PM MST

• a hooker  but i'm going to make her listen to my problems and brush my hair for three hours 
      January 23, 2019 12:15 PM MST

Before or after she is with me?
      January 23, 2019 12:23 PM MST

• all at once we gotta make this ho WORK 
      January 23, 2019 12:32 PM MST

• Man, you and you're wife are sure into some kinky shet. :P

No, I did NOT just call your wife a hooker. -__-
      January 23, 2019 5:56 PM MST

(you're  your wife)
      January 23, 2019 6:16 PM MST

•   January 23, 2019 6:18 PM MST

• You rang? :P
      January 23, 2019 4:36 PM MST

Dude...not even curious. Thanks anyway.
      January 23, 2019 5:35 PM MST

• Oh yeah, we've been down this road.  Well, if there's ever a fork...:P
      January 23, 2019 5:36 PM MST

Take it..."Yogi Berra".
      January 23, 2019 5:38 PM MST

Airfare

January 23, 2019 1:37 PM MST

There is no burning desire to "buy" anything with a tax return. 
      January 23, 2019 7:15 PM MST

• I'd love to have a small flat screen TV for my bedroom.  Mine died and I miss it so much!
      January 23, 2019 7:22 PM MST