Active Now

Randy D
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Beauty » How often do you get your hair cut?

How often do you get your hair cut?

I haven't had my hair cut since 2013 and then it was just a trim. I don't know what to do with this massive mane nor where to go. Finding somewhere to go and trust that they won't butcher my hair has been the hardest thing since I moved here in 2009. 

Should I just cut it myself? 

Posted - February 1, 2019

Responses

I get my hair cut every 3 months.  It takes that long for it to completely cover my ears.  I've gone to the same barber shop for over 40 years.
      February 1, 2019 8:13 PM MST

Don't you mean "Pet Groomers" ??
      February 2, 2019 3:16 AM MST

• i usually get a trim every 4-6 months but now i'm trying to grow it out. the longest time without one was like 7 or 8 years 

and i would absolutely not cut it yourself lol. i would just go somewhere and tell them you are nervous. they can cut it little by little so that way they don't take off too much 
      February 1, 2019 8:13 PM MST

• I used to trim my own, but I got tired of messing with that, so I go every 4 weeks.  If you feel confident in cutting it yourself, go for it.  When I moved here, I Yelped reviews of a few places, and I found a fantastic girl who does my hair. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 2, 2019 10:28 AM MST
      February 1, 2019 8:14 PM MST

• I don't look good in short hair.  Plus I was traumatized as a child when a hairdresser who was supposed to just trim my waist length hair chopped it all off to my chin! And again when I was a teen. That was my last trip to a hair salon. After that my mom would trim off exactly what I told her, usually an inch or two.  Never more or I would have anxiety attacks!  After my Mom was gone, I have done the same trim every month or two. I had watched my Mom so many times it was not hard.  But if you don't feel comfortable trimming long hair yourself, then start asking around or calling salons to find out which ones have expertise in trimming long hair.  Most importantly decide exactly how much you want trimmed off. Take a swatch of paper cut to that length so there is no misunderstandings.  Good luck finding someone who can help you take care of your lovely hair:) 
      February 1, 2019 9:05 PM MST

• I get my hair cut once a month. My hair only looks good short. 
      February 1, 2019 10:17 PM MST

You had me at "this massive mane".  Sounds sexy to me!

~
      February 1, 2019 10:25 PM MST

I usually get them all cut, but not always. Should I divide by the number of hairs to get an average?
      February 2, 2019 2:07 AM MST

Hair is singular and you should say Hair's if you mean your hole head...... I'm supprised Randy D hasn't rounded on this one...
    Have I just found his Achilles Heel I wonder....:)
      February 2, 2019 3:15 AM MST

I wear my hair short which is more flattering to my face than long hair.  I go to the same place as one of my sisters and she usually cuts it a bit too short, so I can hold off for 6 weeks before I need another cut.  At one point, my hair was down to my waist, but it was a chore to wash and dry because of its thickness and I always wore it pinned up.  Since I never wore it down, I decided it was just better to go short.  I wash it, let it air dry and all I need is a bit of hair spray to keep it tamed.
      February 2, 2019 9:46 AM MST

Once a week I shave this bad boy myself.
      February 2, 2019 9:47 AM MST

• I get my hair cut about every two months. I would probably let it go longer than that, but I get highlights put in too so get a trim while doing that. If go any longer I get dark roots. As a good friend of mine points out the roots give me that “ trailer trash“ look lol. 
      February 2, 2019 10:31 AM MST

I cut mine about every 2-3 months. I have naturally curly hair so it gets a mind of its own and when it does it I cut it off. 
    I last got my hair cut by someone else when I was in Jr high. It was a bad cut. And after that, I decided to do it myself. It was probably a year before my parents realized I was cutting my hair
     Lol. 
      February 2, 2019 2:45 PM MST

i used to cut my hairs by myself with normal crayola scissors, but it doesnt come with a guarantee that the haircut will looks great....

i stopped because my mom would not approve that, and she would oblige me to go to the haircut shop instead. 
      February 2, 2019 3:30 PM MST

I do it myself and I'm past due.
      February 2, 2019 3:40 PM MST

I cut my hair when I get tired of it tickling my ears. The rest of the time I don't really care. After all, it only scares the people in front of me.
      February 2, 2019 4:29 PM MST

I don't have time right now maybe March 25th there will be a break for me. 
      February 2, 2019 6:00 PM MST

Every 3 weeks, #2 all over.  Almost the same haircut since I was 17 when I joined a stellar organization.  Doc would kill me if shaved myself bald
      February 7, 2019 7:04 AM MST

I would not recommend you cutting it yourself......but then, there are books on doing just that......HOWEVER you'd have to be really REALLY careful and follow each step CAREFULLY......

If I were you I'd interview a few hairdressers in your area; just ask for a consultation; no charge, and sit down with them and tell them what you want......ya never know!! they may already have clients with hair length like yours, and would be glad to help you..

just don't rush into anything!!

schedule a free consultation, get their feedback, then make your decision....if they have photos of work THEY'VE done on long-haired clients, so much the better.......

as a retired makeup artist, who had to get a damn cosmetology license to do makeup, (still gripes me!! LOL) I can assure you that hairdressers are always glad to help you find the best solution to your situation.

and.........DO make sure you take care of your hair NO CHEAPIE SHAMPOOS....ya get what you pay for........you don't need the highest-priced products, just look for mid-price products.......and CONDITION your hair according to whether or not its' dry, coarse, etc..

hope this helps.......sorry for being so long-winded!  

but hey, that's the way I am!!

LOL

:-D

:)

March 29, 2019 9:07 AM MDT