Active Now

my2cents
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Finance » When you're at a sit-down restaurant, do you ever tip your waiter/waitress at any time prior to the end of the meal?

When you're at a sit-down restaurant, do you ever tip your waiter/waitress at any time prior to the end of the meal?

For instance, for several years now, my wife and I have frequently eaten at a particular restaurant that seats about 100 to 120 customers, so it's quite large.  We have had various waiters and waitresses serve us during that time, some of them more than once, and my wife has gotten to know some of them.  She developed a habit of tipping them at about three quarters of the way through the meal instead of waiting until the end.

Have you heard of this custom before?
  Do you participate in it?
  Either way, what are your thoughts about it?

~

Posted - February 10, 2019

Responses

I've never heard of anyone doing that before. I don't know why anyone would. I always tip at the end when I pay my bill.
      February 11, 2019 12:13 AM MST

• I've never seen anyone do that.  If I thought the server was doing an excellent job .. I'd just compliment them during the meal .. and then give them an appropriate tip at the end.  

I don't think they expect to be "paid" until they have completed their job anyway.  
      February 11, 2019 2:52 AM MST

I can't think of any stand up Resturants here in England where their patrons are not allowed to sit and eat...
    I would rather stay home i think and eat Emile there in comfort....:)D 
      February 11, 2019 3:25 AM MST

No never realized that was a custom. We tip at the same time we pay the bill.  I don't see anything wrong with what she is doing.  At first you made it sound like the waitperson was being tipped throughout the meal!
      February 11, 2019 5:12 AM MST

Tipping is for most respects American.  It is customary to leave the small coins, a service charge is always included in the bill.  Now I have been know to throw a few extra Euros in if the service has been exemplary.

We were back in MN last Fall when I had a family get together at McComick & Schmicks for 8 adults.  My two adult children with spouses, my sister & husband whom I am still talking to, the Doc and myself.  We tied up the table for over 3.5 hours (European Style).  I did present the waiter with a 25% tip in cash after the main Bill had been paid.  The service he provided was extraordinary as always.  Do note there was a service charge factored into the bill.
      February 11, 2019 11:24 AM MST

I never knew this.  Maybe that is why Canadians are so stingy in Florida restaurants.  I always wondered about this.

February 11, 2019 11:29 AM MST