Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » A Los Angeles LOCAL guy named Ralph Story had a series years ago titled "things that are no longer there". What things were that aren't?

A Los Angeles LOCAL guy named Ralph Story had a series years ago titled "things that are no longer there". What things were that aren't?

D'ya miss 'em? Were they local to your city or state or were they everywhere?

Posted - February 11, 2019

Responses

Phone booths and wall phones.

Drive-In Movies most places.

Real food.

February 11, 2019 5:31 PM MST

Remember A&W Rootbeer stands?  There are still a couple of drive-in movies in southern California.   As for "real food" when I was a kid all we had was Wonder Bread. White nutrition-free and ubiquitous. Now we have stone-ground high fiber high protein breads galore as well as "organic" foods which may cost more but are absent preservatives and extenders and unpronounceable suspicious mystery ingredients. So for me the REAL food is available much more now than ever before. Walmart has developed its own line of organic foods and they're mighty tasty. Of course there are still zillions of fast food junk food emporiums that people rely on to whom food is all the same. So they grab and go and then wonder how they got to be so fat, why their kids are so fat and why they have medical problems. They are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. They do not understand the mechanics of cause and effect! Thank you for your reply Sharon and Happy Tuesday!  :)
      February 12, 2019 2:42 AM MST

`A&W? Yes.   It had that "frosty mug taste"!!!! LOLOL

WOW that was a great answer, Rosie.  Seriously.   Impressive.  You left no stone unturned.
      February 12, 2019 3:08 AM MST

Thanks honey. I appreciate it  lot! I wish parents would wise up and start parenting properly. First place is at the dinner table. You are what you eat. SIGH. Preaching to the choir here. You get it. Those who need ignore it. Sheesh!  :(
      February 12, 2019 6:29 AM MST

In the 1960's there was a little lumber mill in Nanoose Bay that produced more lumber then any other mill in North America. I think that's pretty impressive because there were some big mills in North America at the time and the little Nanoose Bay mill was putting out more lumber then any of them. They saved part of it as a heritage site. Cheers! 
      February 11, 2019 6:21 PM MST

That is indeed impressive Nanoose! Saving part of it to honor it was mighty savvy. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      February 12, 2019 2:44 AM MST

Australian-built cars. Holden shut down just over a year ago.
      February 11, 2019 7:02 PM MST

Holden sounds very familiar to me R.  Maybe I read about it somewhere. Oh. Holden Caulfield. A character in a novel.  Was it due to lack of demand? Did foreign cars take over? SIGH. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      February 12, 2019 3:05 AM MST

I know Holden Caufield of Catcher in the Rye.   Oh.  Nevermind.    I'm nuts.
      February 12, 2019 3:12 AM MST

The government jerked the rug out from under them. Every western nation that builds motor vehicles gets a subsidy (in the US it's about $260 per taxpayer). Holden asked for a lousy $18. The parsimonious ba$tards in Canberra wouldn't be in it.
      February 12, 2019 6:35 AM MST

That is positively RIDDIKKALUS! Sheesh! Gosh R  I guess gubment everywhere abounds with dumba** jerks. Sad to know that. Makes no sense at all! I wonder if once upon a time somewhere a gubment did in fact make sense?   I'm gonna ask.  Thank you for your reply! :)                          
      February 12, 2019 6:43 AM MST