Active Now

Slartibartfast
Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » How long have you had your vacuum cleaner before it died on you.The brand new one we just purchased Bit the Dust the day we got it home :(

How long have you had your vacuum cleaner before it died on you.The brand new one we just purchased Bit the Dust the day we got it home :(

I thinking now that all  new types made today really really Suck..... :(.   

Posted - February 18, 2019

Responses

My newest one is Dyson. I have had it for about a year with no problems. 
    The one I had before that was a Shark from Walmart it still works but not as well as the Shark, I bought directly from Shark. It was the best vacuum I ever owned. It quite after 8 yrs, but it was the kid's fault they vacuumed a wet floor. Grrr.
    I bought the Dyson because it was on sale. $500 vacuum for $100 brand new at Home Depot.
      February 18, 2019 3:39 PM MST

You pay for the brand name only really....
    Festool make dust extraction vacuums that sell for a thousand pounds plus...they are well designed but are just a plastic box with a motor in them...a replacement hose cost £120  - £200......it's just a hollow plastic tube...

They are good .but now worth the money they cost....

My parents had a dyson thirty years ago....it was far more robust than the new ones they make now..
    The new battery dysons are are ok for picking up crumbs but have very short run times...they not worth £700 plus 
      February 18, 2019 5:00 PM MST

My original Shark is still the best vacuum I have owned. Regardless of price.
      February 18, 2019 5:14 PM MST

Sounds like you got hosed.  Look on the bright side, you didn't have time to form any attachments to it.   
      February 18, 2019 5:00 PM MST

We have been using $50 Bissel Helix bagless vacs for years at a job. They last about a year, but we vac about 10,000 sqaure feet a day. I can fix them buying parts on line. They clean just as well as those advertised brand names. The only thing I have had to replace are the front wheel assembly and the roller brush.
      February 18, 2019 5:34 PM MST

• I have laminate flooring through my home and for area rugs I just have one of those little hand held vacuums. They‘re only about $100 on amazon. So just replace it about once a year or when starts acting like a jerk. 
      February 18, 2019 5:40 PM MST

My vacuum is a Hoover that I bought on sale in 1993. I don't use it regularly, but it has never failed. 
      February 18, 2019 7:45 PM MST

I had a Kirby for about 20 years but tired of lugging that heavy thing up and down two flights of stairs.  I bought three vacuums and kept one on each floor.  When I left my big house I took one with me and gave it away when I moved out of the apartment I lived in a few years.  Now I have robotic vacuums on both floors plus an Electrolux for an occasional deeper vacuum.  The Roombas do a fine job on my carpet though.  It's short berber carpet on the stairs and in the bedrooms.  Downstairs is hard wood and it's great on that.
      February 18, 2019 9:52 PM MST

Stateside we have a Kenmore canister 2012 vintage, and a 74 Electrolux which works like a champ.  Shop vac in the US for cars etc

Austria we have a Miele which is truly a marvel.  Any problems the shop has it fixed for between 5€ & 20€.  Shop vac for the cars etc
      February 20, 2019 2:57 PM MST

My mom has an old vacuum she got as a wedding gift, over 50 years ago.
    The brushes don't spin, and the hose often comes off while vacuuming ... but she swears it's better than any modern vacuum, even though it takes her an hour to do a room.
      February 20, 2019 3:27 PM MST