Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » If coal was free would you convert to coal burning furnace for heat and stove for cooking?

If coal was free would you convert to coal burning furnace for heat and stove for cooking?

Just have to go dig it yourself.  Thare 48,529 abandoned coal mines in USA. Gotta get rid of the stuff somehow. 

https://skytruth.org/2015/10/mapping-abandoned-coal-mines/

Posted - February 22, 2019

Responses

No.  I lived in a house with two coal-burning fireplaces.  It was beautiful.  We burned wood in the fireplaces but had to cut it very small.  When we first married we lived in an old apartment building owned by my FIL.  We paid our rent by keeping the hallways clean (me) and shoveling coal into the boiler making sure everyone had heat and hot water and doing repairs (hubby).  Messing with the coal was a dirty job.  I did think it was cool for that old building to have an exterior short door that the coal people would open and fill that area with coal.  Hubby could open a door in the basement to get to the coal.  I grew up in a part of the state where coal mining was, and still is, big.  West of my city were many mines.  The mining companies built what they called "camps" which were dozens of small cabins for the miners and their families to occupy.  When I was grown I worked with a lot of people who grew up in the 'mining camps.'  They had such a love of all things luxurious....long baths and lotions and hair products, etc. etc.   Like they say:  We all come from somewhere and that had a lifelong effect on us. 
      February 22, 2019 10:05 PM MST

Interesting. I had a wood stove one time to replace the oilstove for heating because there were lots of trees around where I lived and dead wood suitable for burning. I picked up a few bags of coal to use 'case I got lazy and didn't have enough cut wood available. Only trouble with coal is that it leaves a lot more ash than wood and the stove has to be cleaned out more often. 
      February 22, 2019 10:35 PM MST

It's dirty work fooling with it.  I have no experience actually burning it. 
      February 22, 2019 10:41 PM MST

I have never used coal, but I still know it is not as easy or as nice as wood. We had a wood burning heater in 1948 and we would often drive the old Pontiac into the desert, no roads, and collect some ironwood to burn at home. You collect ironwood with a sledge hammer, not an axe or a saw. Most of the time you can pick up loose pieces, so it was very easy to get fire wood.
      February 22, 2019 11:14 PM MST

No. Coal mining is dirty, dangerous work, and burning coal emits poisonous gases. Storing coal is equally problematic. Not really ideal for in-home heating. 
    That said, here in Fla we can run (most) everything on solar. 
      February 23, 2019 6:41 AM MST

Yes, but would have backup heat of electric or gas.
      February 23, 2019 6:47 AM MST

FYI a company in southern Colorado provides solar panels for fifty cents a watt. 
    https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2018/02/07/diy-solar-power/
      February 23, 2019 6:00 PM MST