Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Presidential candidate Kamala Harris supports reparations via the Lift Act, a tax credit for all families making up to $100k.

Presidential candidate Kamala Harris supports reparations via the Lift Act, a tax credit for all families making up to $100k.

“If you look at the reality of who will benefit from certain policies, when you take into account that they are not starting on equal footing, it will directly benefit black children, black families, black homeowners because the disparities are so significant,” she said. “So, if we focus on the specific issues that have resulted in the greatest disparities and we understand that is part of why we’re doing it.”

Are black homeowners better or worse off than white non-homeowners? Is any disparity rooted more in race or economic status?

Posted - February 27, 2019

Responses

If we were going to pass something like that shouldn't it apply based on the physical address of the tax filer, not based on their race? Poor urban areas contain poor people of all races. 

I actually thought that was the purpose in the earned income credit.
      February 27, 2019 11:18 AM MST

That's what them there progressives do.  They talk about progressive ideas.
      February 27, 2019 11:44 AM MST

It would be enough if the government would just obey the law. Income tax is a direct tax, which the constitution forbids. Yes, I know about the 16th. That does not change anything.
      February 27, 2019 11:51 AM MST

I've heard rumors for years, that there was someone who went to all the state capitals and found the original documents - and the 16th Amendment was never constitutionally ratified.  They found some states listed as approving it, actually rejected it - and some states changed the language before approving it.

It's an interesting conspiracy theory.
      February 27, 2019 3:21 PM MST

It doesn't matter because the amendment is of no effect. It authorizes an income tax, but a direct tax is still forbidden. That is why the instructions say "voluntary" and public announcements always say "your" taxes. You have to volunteer to pay.
      February 27, 2019 11:56 PM MST

• I'm still waiting to be compensated for the destruction that was wreaked on my family's property by the military of the U.S. during the same period of time. Since it's long overdue, I'll take it with interest if you don't mind. Of course, I'm not holding my breath. 
      February 27, 2019 8:53 PM MST