Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Is your mobile phone/cell phone a continual source of surprise and joy for you?

Is your mobile phone/cell phone a continual source of surprise and joy for you?

Maybe when you receive a surprise email from an old friend? Or when a loved one says you are in their thoughts?  How about when it reminds you of an important appointment? 

Posted - March 2, 2019

Responses

• It’s a source of joy for me when hearing from people I want to hear from, listening to music, playing games. I hate my phones guts though when my alarm goes off or paying bills on my banking app. 
      March 2, 2019 7:53 AM MST

Ahh so very mixed feelings about it then - On the very rare occasions I have time, I set my timer for a nap - that's a source of joy for me :)
      March 2, 2019 9:23 AM MST

• Setting a timer to have a nap sounds like a genius idea :) I might try that sometime. 
      March 2, 2019 9:41 AM MST

I don't rely on my phone for surprises and joy.
      March 2, 2019 8:42 AM MST

A very good point.. and neither do I :) But sometimes there are nice surprises :)
      March 2, 2019 9:24 AM MST

My cell phone is off most of the time and it doesn't have a texting feature activated, so if I'm going to get a surprise, they better call on my landline or send me a letter.
      March 2, 2019 9:26 AM MST

Nope...it's nothing more than a 2-way radio to me and is turned off 98% of the time.
      March 2, 2019 8:44 AM MST

I see... well perhaps you are under-utilising a most fabulous gadget! :P
      March 2, 2019 9:25 AM MST

I will text once in a while...maybe 5-6 times a month. This is what I have.

March 2, 2019 9:33 AM MST

Just like mine. Simple, Idiot proof. Well, they are hard to hold on to.
      March 2, 2019 10:31 AM MST

99 % of the calls are from salespeople wanting to sell me insurance. If I try to call them back, there is a recorded message telling me that the number has been disconnected. My cell phone is a hassle, but I gotta have it for my job.
      March 2, 2019 10:22 AM MST

incredible...same here.
      March 2, 2019 12:44 PM MST

Huh? It's just a phone to me and not the center of my life or anything like that. Although, it seems that it's the source of life and living among others.
      March 2, 2019 10:34 AM MST

...or how about
    an endless amount of
    BS/Spam/Robo calls?
    I just don't answer any more,
    unless I know the # or ID because 
    every time I do it is a Robo// call.
    go to msg if not fake news...haha

March 2, 2019 12:40 PM MST

• sure. i like when my husband texts me or sends me cute cat videos when we are both at work 
      March 2, 2019 1:02 PM MST

i dont have many relatives so when i get a text, its kinda suprising for me.... and talking about emails, i honestly almost never received an email from a relative/friend trying to talk to me... 

the only time is my dad used to email me . but beside it , never received an email from a relative. 

honestly i had an iphone , but i didnt paid for the phone service at all.... until past december, with me starting a new job , my mom told me to pay for a new cellphone and i did.

i like a phone, but i like more a computer... with computer you can play all kind of games.
      March 2, 2019 1:58 PM MST

None of those surprises require a mobile phone.  Regardless, my mobile stays turned off and in my purse.  Ir rarely surprises me.
      March 2, 2019 4:41 PM MST

No it was meant for something else!
      March 3, 2019 2:26 AM MST

No. It's just a communications tool, as are my land-line telephone and the PC I am using to type this.

And a basic one too, not very different from Element99's. I think it can be used on the Internet but I use it only for occasional voice calls and texts, of which most are just arrangements to meet, and similar brief exchanges.

I have a so-called "smart" phone but I do not use it, I have paid off its 2-year contract, had it unlocked and removed the card. I tried to sell it but had no replies. It might be useful as a portable snap-shot camera IF I can discover how to use it as such, and how to extract the image files.
      March 31, 2019 3:52 PM MDT