Active Now

Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Seeing a cop go by is fine. No problemo. He is after someone. But if one is driving behind me I get nervous. Do you get nervous too?.

Seeing a cop go by is fine. No problemo. He is after someone. But if one is driving behind me I get nervous. Do you get nervous too?.

I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm not speeding or changing lanes like a demon or going through red lights. And yet I get nervous. I think it's weird. What do you think? Do we see cops are being the enemy or the rescuer?

Posted - March 4, 2019

Responses

I feel the same Rosie, and for me that's because they can be helpful, but they can also abuse their powers to feed their ego.  They can often pull over people just because they have the power to do so.  They play two roles, one a policeman and the other a police officer, the latter likes to stick tickets on you to raise funds for the government, which is legal not lawful.  I've seen the police while on duty, hanging out at a race circuit using their speed gun to record the speed of the cars, and we are paying them to do that.

As they say, it takes a crook to catch a crook.
      March 4, 2019 10:54 AM MST

SIGH. So you know what I mean kj. Sadly what you say is unfortunately true. It's funny when I was a little girl the police were the ones you would go to for help. They were there to protect you from harm. Then you grow and see that they often cause harm to others and skate. How many unarmed young black men have they murdered and not been punished. Carry a gun and it gives all the power you will ever need. Thank you for your reply.
      March 5, 2019 2:47 AM MST

You are so right RosieG, but I do think it was different when we were young, our local policemen were classed as the Bobbie on the Beat, they'd know most of the people in town, and they were their to fight crime and protect people.  Now, the polices job often puts making money above protecting the people, in the UK a burglary is not classed as urgent, they have four hours to attend, yet I see plenty of them sitting at the side of the road with their speed gun ready to serve people a ticket, it's all about making money now RosieG, after all they are corporations.  

Well, it is a fact that the black community are thought as less than, that is also linked to poverty, and no real direction.  I find that poverty lets rich people take your rights away. They do abuse their powers, which is why so many cases go to our Independent Police Complaints Commission unfortunately they are rarely held accountable.  I know a few ex-coppers, (decent people) they even admit the police are not the same as they use to be, that's why they ended up leaving, they didn't agree with the way the police were running themselves.

This post was edited by kjames at March 5, 2019 4:16 AM MST
      March 5, 2019 4:15 AM MST

No.  I used to smoke weed every day years ago and never got stopped.  I used to smoke weed in my car and carry it all over the place and never got stopped.

EVER.  Not once.

So?  My point is that I can handle weed very well.  
      March 4, 2019 10:57 AM MST

I'm curious Sharon. How did marijuana join the discussion? It isn't in the question. It was not on my mind at all. Yet that is what you started with and finished with. Anyway once upon a time decades ago a friend offered me a puff or two. I was scared to death. I took one puff. Nothing happened. That's the only time I ever tried "weed". Too scared. I KNOW what alcohol can do. I DON"T KNOW what weed can do. So I never wanted to find out. That's my history with it. Different strokes. Now on the plus side I have read that marijuana is very effective in mitigating pain from cancer or AIDS or the like. I am a supporter of pain mitigation and if the pain were that great and a medical doctor prescribed it for me I would try it.  Elsewise I would never ever try it again. No need. Why open that can of worms? Thank you for your reply.
      March 5, 2019 2:52 AM MST

I would say she brought it up because a lot of the trouble people get into with police is from carrying drugs in their cars.  Like Sharon in the days when I used to get high (on whatever) I never got stopped nor was I ever busted.  And that was a number of years and from when I was driving through most of my 20s - over ten years.  
      March 5, 2019 4:58 AM MST

No never had problems as I guess I don't push it or consider myself better than or above the law. At least what law I am aware of.  I think a lot of it is a matter of attitude.  You become a law unto yourself there are going to be problems because you make yourself number one. Long as you remain aware there are others who have lives then you operate with more humility and don't get in trouble with the law. 
      March 5, 2019 4:42 AM MST

Nope.

I've been pulled over a couple times for traffic infractions, but never received a ticket.
    Likely because I always treated the officer with respect and courtesy, and didn't argue the issue.

Even when I knew they were profiling ... being pulled out of line by Canadian Customs because of an NRA sticker on my vehicle.  LOL
      March 5, 2019 3:06 PM MST