Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Before going to Fact Check, where do You think, "The real McCoy" came from? Do you still use it in your conversations?

Before going to Fact Check, where do You think, "The real McCoy" came from? Do you still use it in your conversations?

Posted - March 6, 2019

Responses

The only thing that comes to mind is the Hatfields and McCoys. 
      March 6, 2019 2:06 PM MST

Don said the same thing. :)  I've always used it as a validation when something was in question of authenticity.
    I asked because the TV was on the other day and I heard its origin came from somewhere I would have never guessed.  Not that I believe that as being God's truth by any means.  
    :) :)
    It 's great to hear why and how coined statements come about. :) :)
    Thanks my2cents and it's great to see you!
      March 6, 2019 2:25 PM MST

My mom used to use the idiom frequently while I was growing up.  I have no clue where it came from.  I just figured it was another of her weird southern expressions.  No, I don't say it.  
      March 6, 2019 2:54 PM MST

I'm giggling because it does sound like a "weird southern expression."  Especially if it derived from the Hatfields and the McCoys.
    When I'm surrounded by an older crowd, I'll say it when needed.  They seem to get it better than the younger generation.
    Thanks for answering and it's great to see you!
      March 6, 2019 9:19 PM MST

It comes from a 60s TV show called 'The Real McCoys'
      March 6, 2019 4:50 PM MST

Hi Element :)
    I think you are goofin' me!!
    Even if there were ever such a show in existence, they borrowed it to make a point.
    Good Try but even I know better. ;)  
    As always, your humor keeps me smiling. :) :)
      March 6, 2019 9:16 PM MST

It has to do with the Hatfield's and Mccoy's ongoing disagreements.  There is a whole story to it but I'll have to think about it for a bit.  I've got a lot of new information in me brain and the Hatfield's and McCoy's story is buried under a pile of fresh stuff. oops! Not that at all, it has to do with some invention or product made by McCoy.  There were  knock offs and the real one was indicated by being the "real McCoy." That's all I've got for now.  This post was edited by . at March 6, 2019 9:20 PM MST
      March 6, 2019 5:40 PM MST

You're awesome!  Thanks for digging through your files and pulling that tidbit out.  You can bury it again.  I'm sure there will not be a quiz in the future... From me, anyway!
    Take Care and See you soon on another! :) :)
      March 6, 2019 9:21 PM MST

I've never used it in conversations.  I've no idea about its origin either.  I'm waiting anxiously for the story.
      March 6, 2019 10:54 PM MST

I posted the story down below that I was referring to... just for you!!

Thanks for answering and asking :) :)
      March 8, 2019 11:57 AM MST

We have bags of Thin Potato Crisps called The Real McCoys here in England.....they have been about for years and are one of the more expensive brands...:)  
      March 7, 2019 2:02 AM MST

So, What's The Story of

"The Real McCoy?"

The Real McCoy® Rum is based on the story of Bill McCoy, the pioneer rum runner of the Prohibition era. In January of 1920, McCoy was the first to fill a boat with alcohol in the Caribbean, sail it up to New York City, and legally act as a floating liquor store three miles off shore. McCoy was careful to always stay outside the three mile limit, which was international waters in the early days of Prohibition in America.

McCoy made a name for himself because he never adulterated the alcohol. While copy-cat rum runners would dilute their alcohol with wicked chemicals like turpentine, wood alcohol and prune juice, McCoy never did. The sullied products were nicknamed "Booze," "Hooch" and "Rot Gut," while McCoy’s quality spirits became known as "The Real McCoy."

Our multi-award winning collection of rum is produced in honor of McCoy using his Prohibition Tradition®. The rum is completely unadulterated -- there are no added sugars, flavors or perfumes – and we use only the finest blackstrap molasses and pure spring water. The rums are small batch single-distilled in a rare artisan combination of column and pot stills, then authentically aged in heavy char American Oak bourbon barrels for a full 35 or 12 years.

THE REAL MCCOY RUM STORY
    The Story of

"The Real McCoy"

Today

Fast forward to the twenty first century, Founder and CEO, Bailey Pryor, came up with the idea to make The Real McCoy® Rum while producing a documentary film about Bill McCoy for Public Television in the United States.

During his research for the film, Bailey traveled to the Caribbean island of Barbados, where he met Richard Seale, the 4th generation Master Distiller at his family-owned Foursquare Distillery.

THE REAL MCCOY RUMRUNNER DOCUMENTARY

March 8, 2019 11:56 AM MST

no idea
      March 8, 2019 2:22 PM MST