Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » If your doctor advised you to go on a diet, and to begin a fitness regimen, but he's in far worse shape than you are, would you...

If your doctor advised you to go on a diet, and to begin a fitness regimen, but he's in far worse shape than you are, would you...

..take him seriously? How would you react? lol 

Posted - March 8, 2019

Responses

I did have a doc who was quite overweight. He didn't mention my fitness. (Which was quite good at the time.)
      March 8, 2019 7:04 PM MST

There are lots of obese MD's who don't practice what they preach. 
      March 8, 2019 8:00 PM MST

Well, you can't rely on fitness or diet advice from a doctor unless they specifically claim to have training in those subjects. Most doctors don't. They will refer you to a dietitian and a fitness trainer.
      March 8, 2019 7:10 PM MST

My GP did. Told me to join a gym and eat more vegetables, suggested green beans and broccoli. I've lost 28 lbs since the new year, but it ain't because of him or the high cholesterol blood tests, it's because I wanted to do it to feel better in myself, and to fit back in to the clothes I used to wear. 
      March 8, 2019 7:59 PM MST

He is a trained health professional, I would heed their advice. 

That he or she doesn’t take their own advice is not for me to judge them. 
      March 8, 2019 7:31 PM MST

Right...but they'll judge you for not taking their advice. lol 
      March 8, 2019 7:53 PM MST

That is possible, but their judgment on health matters is professional (their medical license is at stake otherwise), much like an accountant assessing your financial situation. Take their guidance, or don’t. 
      March 9, 2019 5:21 AM MST

I just experienced that. I went to the doc about a month ago. I have not felt "right" and decided I need to lose a few pounds. I mentioned this to her (she's obese). She told me that I was not a candidate for weight loss as my BMI is in the low twenties. Last week I get a call from my doctor's office and they tell me my cholesterol is "kind of" high and suggest I see a nutritionist. WTF. 

Just because you appear to be svelte, doesn't mean your insides match. I have an appointment with a nutritionist next Saturday. And, the appointment is one that I made. It has nothing to do with my doctor. She can kick rocks.
      March 8, 2019 7:31 PM MST

Yeah, I understand. BMI is pretty useless. If a 5'10" guy steps on the scales at 250 lbs...but he's a ripped bodybuilder, is the doc going to tell him to lose weight because his weight is in the obese range? Muhahahahaha!! ;p
      March 8, 2019 7:52 PM MST

True for weightlifter BMI just the number is stupid. A good doctor will also use the tool that actually measures body fat.
      March 8, 2019 8:50 PM MST

• bmi isn't really useless. it works for almost everyone (minus body builders for obvious reasons). please do not validate the fat activists. 
      March 9, 2019 5:59 AM MST

I remember that happening in the Navy. They were going to discharge a friend of mine because he didn't meet the height/weight criteria. He went to the CO and took his shirt off. He was a body-builder. He got out anyway because he was tired of their crap.
      March 9, 2019 7:10 AM MST

Your doctor would have referred you to a dietitian instead of a nutritionist. They don't know the difference.
      March 9, 2019 3:31 AM MST

I can know a lot and not do what I know.  

I can tell you everything  you need to be healthy.   I follow my own advice but I also get lazy and do nothing to improve my health.  I still have tons of info I can pass on.  So, I'm sure do doctors who are out of shape.  I seldom see any lately.  But I see a lot of over weight massage therapists of all things.  I don't know how they can work like that.
      March 8, 2019 11:14 PM MST

The doctor's shape has nothing to do with me.
      March 8, 2019 11:40 PM MST

I am a long-standing member of the "do as I say not as I do" club. I'd probably laugh and say "You and me, both, buddy"! 

I think most people have a pretty good idea of their own state of health and fitness, and know that they're the only one who can really change it. I don't think that regular primary care or family medicine docs have the time or expertise to do more than show people the latest version of the food pyramid. 
      March 9, 2019 10:24 AM MST

i wouldnt say anything to hinn about it, its not nny business
      March 10, 2019 3:59 PM MDT

Taking advice from hypocrites? I guess the advice would still be sound. Just because the doctor can't seem to follow it, doesn't mean that I have to be the same way.
      March 10, 2019 4:02 PM MDT