Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Would you be happy to buy your first house one day ?

Would you be happy to buy your first house one day ?

Free from the dealing with neighbors, and paying an appartment. 

Posted - March 10, 2019

Responses

appartment apartment
    And where do homeowners not have neighbors to deal with?
      March 10, 2019 9:16 PM MDT

In the country with enough acreage, you don't have to look at a neighbor. We had a house in the middle of 22 acres it connected to gov land. We did not have to see another human for months if we did not want.
      March 11, 2019 6:52 AM MDT

So ... you have the government as a neighbor.   LOL
      March 11, 2019 1:37 PM MDT

I did for many years. The gov is very quiet in the woods. Lol
      March 11, 2019 1:41 PM MDT

March 11, 2019 8:12 AM MDT

In my situation i'd prefer to buy a mobile home. Totally independent and can travel around if I want- maybe go south for the winter. 
      March 11, 2019 12:48 AM MDT

I did. Started with a used mobile home and moved up from there. 40 years later, I have a nice place in the country where you can hear cows and chickens  in the distance. It wasn't easy and took a long time, but it is my dream to return to my rural roots. And you don't hear things like; "Hey ****, where's my effing case of Bud?" This post was edited by my2cents at March 11, 2019 1:08 PM MDT
      March 11, 2019 6:42 AM MDT

It took me 68 years to buy that house one day.    I did not give up.  I don't want to pay rent forever and not own anything to show for it.
      March 11, 2019 8:14 AM MDT

I did with my husband in 2011.  But you always have neighbors to deal with unless you live way in the country or have a gated mansion on a large lot. 
      March 11, 2019 8:50 AM MDT

• We bought our first house in the late 70's.  We've had a few houses since then, paid off the last 2.  That's a great feeling of accomplishment and freedom.  (You still have to deal with neighbors .. and taxes .. and repairs ... etc.  Being a homeowner isn't right for everyone.  It's quite an investment.) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 11, 2019 9:38 PM MDT
      March 11, 2019 8:52 AM MDT

And a big responsibility.  We hope to have it paid off in two years. 
      March 11, 2019 8:55 AM MDT

• Yes it is ... and congrats on being that close to making it all yours!  (When we paid ours off, I told the bank they should have a parade or something for us.  They looked at me like I was crazy ... lol!!)  
      March 11, 2019 8:58 AM MDT

Thank you dear.  Well it is ours of course but we do have the responsibility of the remaining payments. Which fortunately at our time of life and in our situation we are well able to afford. After our marriage we purchased an older house and had it fixed up.  Too large undoubtedly for the just the two of us but at one time we had Gerry's daughters living with us and we wanted to be able to provide for his mother should she require it. Which does not look like she will as she is happily ensconced in a retirement community.  I just want to appreciate what we have and care for it and beyond that have no great plans. Never thought I actually would own my own home but it has come true!
      March 11, 2019 9:32 AM MDT

I bought my first house property that we built a house on about 25 yrs ago. 
    We moved to a new area and sold it. We are now buying another house but we only have 2 neighbors. No issues at all. In fact, one is an older lady, she makes us treats sometimes. Homemade jams, strawberry shortages, chocolate chip cookies etc. We give her free eggs from our chickens. I think we get the better end of the deal.

If I remember right, you are staying with your Mom and had gotten a stable job recently. I would advise renting first before making a commitment to buy to make sure you are ready for such a responsibility of buying a home. But in general most times you will still have neighbors even when buying but you will be stuck with them unless they move.
      March 11, 2019 9:22 AM MDT

• I own my house.
      March 11, 2019 3:31 PM MDT

I was very happy when I bought my house.
    It wasn't my first, but it is definitely my last.
    It sat on 14 acres with 3 houses and a couple of detached garages. It was in an area which I had always wanted to live and the kids loved it.
    Because it is in a very expensive area, I bought the house that was considered the worst in the area, it had sat empty for years. It was built as a family compound in the 60's. With the father dying in the 70's, the wife and 2 adult children stayed on the property. When the mother became I'll, she and the daughter moved out and relocated in N.C. The son moved out some years later and the place just sat.
    When the mother passed the kids did not want the place and I picked it on the cheap. I had to sell 7 of the acres along with the son's house, so I do have a neighbor, however I only see him Twice a year.
    He shows up, brings vans of tables and chairs, has a big party and then dissappears for  6 months when he shows up and has another party.
    I also rent out the smaller of the 2 houses to help with payments. It will paid off in about 5 years and it will be worth at least 25 times what I paid for it,so I am still pretty happy about it.
      March 11, 2019 3:45 PM MDT

I was happy when I bought my 1st house.  I still am happy with it as I still own it. It is currently a great piece of rental property in my portfolio.  I am happy with my second house, and my third.........

Now you always have neighbors, both good and bad
    You always have bills & taxes - good and bad

There are always things to deal with, it is called life and living
      March 12, 2019 8:45 AM MDT