Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Zack
my2cents
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The head of the wealthiest family in Asia, MUKESH AMBANI, and his family live in a $1 BILLION DOLLAR HOME! What could it possibly be like?

The head of the wealthiest family in Asia, MUKESH AMBANI, and his family live in a $1 BILLION DOLLAR HOME! What could it possibly be like?

What's the most expensive home you have ever been in? Was it staggeringly beautiful?

Posted - March 11, 2019

Responses

REAL REAL BIG.

Lots of servants.

March 11, 2019 12:39 PM MDT

Is that the Mukesh home Sharon or another one you have visited? Thank you for your reply and graphic and Happy Tuesday!  :)
      March 12, 2019 2:10 AM MDT

Considering the price of housing in Asian cities ... and that he has a staff of 600 to maintain it ... and that it looks like a skyscraper, rather than a mansion ... and it's 27 floors are equivalent to 60 floors in most high-rises...

Yeah, I don't doubt the price tag.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antilia_(building)
      March 11, 2019 1:21 PM MDT

So it's like a small city then?  I think I'd have a hard time calling it "home" but then if that's all they know then the concept of "cozy" isn't important to them. Thank you for your reply Walt and Happy Tuesday!  :)
      March 12, 2019 2:12 AM MDT

Hello rosie
    This house is called Antilia..it is 27 stories of what I consider to be the most architecturally insignificant of grand homes...it has room for 600 full time servants. 
    The largest home I have ever been to is Biltmore' in Asheville N.C. This is the largest home ever built in America at about 175,000 sq.ft.
    It is very grand with rooms that are incredible, the dining hall for instance.

I ahve also been fortunate enough to be invited to see a few heritage homes right here in the Bay area
    The Carolands on Hillsborough is a beautiful beau arts mansion of about 60,000 sq.ft. This house has a stories history and was at one time our "party spot" as it had sat  abandoned for years. The house boast's the tallest room in the u.s at 90 feet.
    If it were to be offered for sale the price would be about 100 million....
    i have also been in the Filoli estate right here in Woodside, this house was used as the Carrington estate on the t.v show Dynasty

I have also visited the Folger estate, again in Woodside...

all these homes are gorgeous and some of the finest examples of their respective architectural styles..

March 11, 2019 2:00 PM MDT

Thank you for a very comprehensive and thoughtful reply to my question and for providing the photos as well. I wonder what goes on inside on a daily basis and who visits the 27th floor? Having bigger and more expensive doesn't insure having better. But if you've got that kind of money what else would you spend it on besides an opulent ostentatious "home"? Happy Tuesday des. Of all the places you've visited which one building/home is your very favorite? Why?
      March 12, 2019 2:18 AM MDT

Hello again Rosie
    Most of these homes have stories of triumph, and tragedy. The Folger's, as well as being crazy rich had plenty of tragedy, most famously the daughter, Abigail was murdered by the Manson family during their "Helter skelter" murder spree.
    The Carolands builder, Harriet Pullman, only lived in her masterpiece for a year, divorcing her husband the very same year she finished the house and shuttering it, moving to the East coast.
    The Filoli estate original owners died within a year of each other...the house was sold to the Matson-Roths who developed the world famous gardens and in 1975 donated the house and land along with an endowment to a preservation society and is now open to the public..
    I have a few favorites, first I think is the Carolands estate. This house has faced the wrecking ball numerous times and has sat empty for most of it's life. This house was our party spot during high school. To stop Intruders the town hired a security guard who ended up killing a young girl. Eventually the house was purchased by a woman named Ann Johnson who has spent tens of millions restoring the home to it's former glory and it is truly spectacular, I think it is my favorite because of all it's been through...Mrs. Johnson makes the house available, free of charge to various groups for events.

the grand staircase at the Carolands

March 12, 2019 12:19 PM MDT

Thank you for your informative and thoughtful reply des. Didja ever visit the house that had stairs to nowhere? The gal was told she'd die when she stopped construction on her house so never did. It must be quite an oddity to find stairs going up to a ceiling. Bet the workers were thrilled to have  a lifetime commitment of work...her lifetime.
      March 12, 2019 12:24 PM MDT

Hey there Rosie
    Yes, you are talking about the Winchester house in San Jose.
    What a strange place and a strange history. There was never a "plan" for the house and has a myriad of oddities, stairs to nowhere, windows on the inside that look into rooms, doors that open to walls. The workmanship is incredible. It is also open to the public
    You can see a door on the 2nd story that opens to nothing...
      March 12, 2019 12:40 PM MDT