Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » There is always hope that a cure will be found one day for every disease. Which disease does it seem least possible to cure and why?

There is always hope that a cure will be found one day for every disease. Which disease does it seem least possible to cure and why?

Posted - August 28, 2016

Responses

Cancer. So many kinds. We are all designed to die. It is in our genes. My cousin has a quote: "we all have cancer, it's only a matter of time before it shows up."  Of course, most die of other causes first. 

August 28, 2016 10:12 AM MDT

My dad had Parkinson's disease towards the end of his life. I wish to hell there was a cure for that.
      August 28, 2016 1:18 PM MDT

You know bh I did read that somewhere long ago. That if we live long enough we will all develop cancer. Well I did my stint with it in 2008. Jim had a small cancerous growth on his ear this year which was removed and another pre-cancerous growth on the other ear which was frozen and removed. Now I was 70 when I got my cancer and Jim is 80. But both my mom and her mom lived to their mid-90's and they had a lot of health problems but cancer wasn't one of them. Go figger! Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)

August 29, 2016 1:52 AM MDT

Condolences. I worked for a fine gentleman who had it and his wife also had it. The tremors just got worse oer time. I felt so bad for him. I suppose if we knew the triggers we could find an anti-trigger med? Thank you for your reply HarryD and Happy Monday to thee! :)

August 29, 2016 1:53 AM MDT

I think MND is a disease that's least likely to be cured.. because its quite rare and they don't research these rarer diseases as much as they do the more common ones.. like cancer.

MND is a Vile disease... and there is very little treatment to help the symptoms.

A family friend died of this and it was truly horrendous...

There is no cure for MND.

August 30, 2016 12:39 PM MDT

Apologies my friend but what is MND? Muscular Dystrophy? If so what does the "N" represent? You heard that  actor/comedian Gene Wilder died of complications from Alzheimer's. That must be such a heartbreaking disease for the caregiver. Your loved one no longer recognizes you. I don't know what the physical symptoms are vis a vis being in pain or  suffering. I just know that people's identity and memories disappear. How frightening that would be. Thank you for your answer cherry and Happy Wednesday! :) ((hugs))

August 31, 2016 4:25 AM MDT

Motor neurone disease (MND) is a progressive disease that attacks the motor neurones, or nerves, in the brain and spinal cord. This means messages gradually stop reaching muscles, which leads to weakness and wasting and then they're unable to breathe.

Alzheimer's is also horrible and heart breaking for loved ones. They don't know who anyone is in the later stages and for the family that is devastating.

I do know people with Alzheimer's get very agitated and violent.. so its just awful for them to. So sad.  Its awful because they cant control it and they are often medicated with powerful drugs. :(

Thank you and Happy Wednesday to you too :)

August 31, 2016 5:28 AM MDT

Thank you for the information cherry. I had not heard of MND. Thank you for educating me. I appreciate it m'dear!  :)

August 31, 2016 5:49 AM MDT

I say this as a totally untrained un-well-read person, but viruses of any kind.

August 31, 2016 5:51 AM MDT

Cherry makes a very good point about more funds being devoted to the more common diseases.
      August 31, 2016 10:53 PM MDT

I keep reading that they continue to change. Like the flu virus for instance. Each formula they use for vaccinations every year isn't good for subsequent years because it is never the same strain. So you may be quite right Desiree. How do you find a preventive measure for something that is never the same and keeps changing? Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)

September 1, 2016 1:40 AM MDT

I guess they do it per number of people afflicted? Some obscure disease that is very rare probably won't make the cut. Thank you for your reply Harry! :)

September 1, 2016 1:41 AM MDT

So welcome :)

September 5, 2016 5:17 AM MDT

September 5, 2016 5:18 AM MDT

The wasting diseases like Alzheimer's and Motor Neurone Disease (MND) seem among the most intractable, but there is a glimmer of hope for the former, according to the latest research results that made the news this week.

September 5, 2016 3:31 PM MDT

I saw that report too Durdle.   I hope it pans out.   I can't imagine the heartbreak involved when a loved one no longer recognizes you. Also I wonder if that person is afraid because at some point he/she doesn't recognize people or surroundings., I wonder what knowledge one retains of "self" without memories? Sad. Thank you for your reply! :)

September 6, 2016 2:49 AM MDT

Stupidity.
      September 6, 2016 4:38 AM MDT

I know there is a cure for ignorance CC. Knowledge that comes from seeking information. I'm not so sure there is a cure for stupidity or hatred which I equate as being the two most vile character traits of human beings. Some people hate with every breath they take and will till they die. They do not want to be informed about anything that contradicts what they believe and so they lie about it or deny it . I personally think they are hopeless and not redeemable. Fortunately all humans are not like that. The question is are there enough of the seeking knowledge/kind folks to offset the happy-in-their-stupidity/hateful folks? That is the question. I don't know the answer to it. Thank you for your reply! :)

September 6, 2016 4:55 AM MDT

I have a long-time friend now with advancing Alzheimer's, and have just learnt another was diagnosed recently with it. Such cruel conditions.

September 6, 2016 5:04 AM MDT

Condolences Durdle. I am so sorry to  hear that. Perhaps there will soon be some sort of med that can further delay it. I don't know if there will ever be one to cure it/reverse it/eliminate it. Thank you for your reply! :)

September 6, 2016 5:24 AM MDT